What was john william Ritchie's contribution to confederation?

I'm doing a socials project and I'm doing that fathers of confederation stuff and I'm doing John William Ritchie. I'll choose best answer if anyone could answer these as well: :)

-Why did they want confederation or why didn't they?

-what was their contribution to confederation?

-what was the London Conference's contribution?

If anyone could answer all of them I'll be so happy and choose it as best answer!! Thank u:)

Favorite Answer

John William Ritchie represented the colony of Nova Scotia at negotiations leading up to Confederation - the birth of Canada as we now know it. There were political realities in Nova Scotia which made the entry of that entity as a Province somewhat nebulous or unpredictable. Nova Scotia websites will have more details on his life.

There was a variety of reasons for the desire to unite the northern colonies. Memories of the attempted annexation by the United States in "Madison's War" was one. There were also 'Fenian Raids' which terrorized members of the general population along the St. Lawrence River and Basin. Thus defence was an issue.

Even folk in England were desirous of some form of Canadian independence to allow the Empire to concentrate military and diplomatic personnel in other parts of the world.

Three formal discussions were held regarding Confederation (there had been many informal talks prior to and during this period as well): Charlotteown, Prince Edward Island; 1864: Quebec City, Lower Canada; 1866: London, England: 1867. Loose ends were tied at the London Conference leading to the first formal step of Confederation of the first Provinces of Canada through the British Parliament's acceptance and adoption of the British North America Act. Canada formally gained independence as of July 1, 1867.

Look for: Ferguson, Will - Canadian History for Dummies: Second Edition. Mississauga, John Wiley: 2005, especially Chapter 13

Source(s): Canadian Historical Association reprints (articles) regarding the Charlottetown, Quebec and London Conferences.