sheng asked in TravelAir Travel · 7 years ago

US Airways international flight check in time?

I'm going from MSP-PHL-LHR on April 14. My mom and I plan on leaving the airport, as we have an event to attend that we cannot miss. It's rather close by the airport, only 1-2 miles away. But, I think the soonest we can get back is 815, latest by 830. Our int'l flight to LHR is at 9:50pm. Since we would already be checked in from the first flight, we don't need to recheck ourselves in at the kiosk or counter, do we? I understand we'll need to go through security, and I hope there won't be much of a line due to the later time. What time do I need to be through security and be at the gate, so that they don't give away my seats?

Plus, can they tell if you leave the airport anyways?

• Paulie

You are correct in that US Air will check your passport documents at MSP when you check in for the first leg of your flights. While Philly is an old airport, the US Airways terminal is rather easy to get around and they have multiple gates for security. If you get back by 8:15 to 8:30, and have no luggage, you should be able to breeze thru security. Now, that said, if there is a wreck on I-95, you could get tied up. There is a train that runs right into downtown from right at the airport. It might be the way to travel....and also be the cheapest..

Good Luck on your trip

• OC1999

For International Flights US Airways requires you to be at the gate no later than 30 minutes before your flight is scheduled to depart. For you that would be 9:20PM.

You do not need to re-check in, that would be done when you did your first flight, so you do need to just go through security. If you get to the airport by 8:15PM you SHOULD have enough time to get through security and to the gate. Even by about 8:30 PM you SHOULD be okay, but you are starting to cut it a bit close. Especially if that 8:30PM starts to slide into 8:45 or later.

What ever this event is, if it is running late you may have to leave before it is over or you may get back too late.

• MS

You will be checked in already, so you'll just have to head to security. They will start boarding about 30 min before your flight departs, and it's a good idea to be there then. They close the doors 10 min before departure. Be mindful of your time though - you should be fine, especially that time of day. But you never know what might get you stuck.