BF do I need bottles?

I've heard that glass bottles are chemical free. But I will not risk any of them breaking. I do not like the idea of plastic (chemicals). I have some BPA free bottles just in case of needing to pump for any reason (3 bottles). Will I need more bottles? Will I use the bottles often? Any experience on this would be great! Thank you!

• Pippin
    Favorite Answer

If you will be home with your baby, there is no reason to think you'll need any bottles.

If you expect to be away from your baby from time to time, 3 bottles should be more than ample. (If you'll be freezing milk, you will do so in freezer bags, not bottles.)

If you are breastfeeding and sometimes pump so someone else can care for the baby then 3 bottles is plenty. You can freeze or refrigerate the milk in anything and then warm it up to put in the bottle. So you could store or freeze the milk in glass mason jars and then pour the milk into the baby bottle. That way you still only need the 3 bottles you've got. After all, the baby only drinks out of one bottle at a time. My friend freezes her milk in glass jars. She's used everything from baby food jars to mayonnaise jars. Then you just warm it up and put it in the BPA free bottle.

There may be some unforeseen reasons to pump and give baby milk through a bottle so there's nothing wrong with having some on hand. 5 bottles is good enough. Some babies leave little time to do daily chores so if you don't have time to wash them you'll have plenty on hand. One thing I majorly lacked was sleep and if push comes to shove this time, I will pump and let daddy or grand ma give a feeding for me. A well-rested mother has more patience in my opinion.

Source(s): 24 weeks #2

I breast fed for 5 months and I rarely used bottles, but if I wanted to sleep in and have someone watch him for a few hours, I would put a feeding in a bottle for them. I would also use a bottle with water and a small amount of sugar in it for his hiccups. He would get them several times a day and a few sips would take care of them. He had them in my tummy through my entire pregnancy lol. But if you breast feed, then just keep a few bottles on hand. The brand "Even Flow" bottles are plastic. They are clear plastic with no BPA. Very safe. There are also nipples that have vents on them for that brand too. All very affordable.

I would of kept breast feeding, but I got real sick for a week and it made my milk supply so low, he wasn't getting enough, so I had to supplement with formula. I didn't want to, but my body finally said that the breast feeding was over. He's 6.5 months now and I would still prefer to breast feed, but I'm dried up now. Having a few bottles on hand won't hurt anything. Just in case something like what happened to me happens to you. but you can always buy more when the time comes.

Just breast feed your baby normally and NO pumps nor bottles needed.