Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 6 years ago

How big were American automobiles in the 90's and 2000's compared to today?

For example, the "compact" Pontiac Grand Am and Oldsmobile Alero sedans were 186.3-186.7 inches long when the "mid-size" BMW 5-Series E39 was 188.0 inches long. The "mid-size" fourth generation Ford Taurus, first generation Buick LaCrosse, and Cadillac STS sedans were under 199 inches but over 197 inches long, like the "full-size" Chrysler 300. The "full-size" Ford Panther, Chrysler LHS, Buick Park Avenue and Cadillac Deville/DTS sedans were over 206 inches long, which the long-wheelbase European executive cars cannot reach.

The "subcompact" Geo Metro sedan, which is only 164 inches long, is only an inch shorter than the "compact" Jeep Cherokee XJ SUV.

Update:

The STS and first generation Chrysler 300 were UNDER 197 inches long, but the Taurus and LaCrosse were bigger.

Update 2:

"The "full-size" Ford Panther, Chrysler LHS, Buick Park Avenue and Cadillac Deville/DTS sedans were over 206 inches long, which the long-wheelbase European executive cars cannot reach."

Yes, I forgot that SOME LWB European executive cars, like the Jaguar XJL, CAN reach that length.

Update 3:

"Ford Panther" = short for "Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town Car"

1 Answer

Relevance
  • PMack
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It sounds like you've looked up the dimensions and have answered your own question pretty well.

My perception - ignoring specs is they haven't changed much. It depends on what you're looking at, model wise. I'd guess they are a little bigger now, and definitely heavier in part because of power accessories that used to be optional and are now standard, and safety equipment.

One note - Ford hasn't sold a car called the Panther in the US, I don't think ever. Definitely not in the past 30 years. Not sure what you're referring to there.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.