Seward Alaska??? for my book?

I'm writing a book and it takes place on Seward Alaska can someone please give me details about Seward since I've never left California??

• Hazel
    Favorite Answer

Sure. I live in Alaska so it's super exciting when someone wants to make it their setting.

It's rather small, not a very big population. there is not much to do there, unless you're an outdoorsy person (which is how it is for the majority of Alaska is). There is a lot of hiking, skiing, biking. A ton of people go to Camp and Fish in the summer. It's a pretty cool and rainy area in the summer. And as you'd probably expect, cold and snowy in the winter. It's about two hours from Anchorage, which is the largest Alaskan city.

I don't know if you have school aged characters, but school is pretty much the same. Probably a few class differences when it comes to number of classes or electives, but that's not a big deal.

It would help to know exactly what it is you need to know. Doing some basic research would probably help.

• Thanks so much ! I'm glad to know that my setting is exciting and exactly how I wanted it to be!

It is a small town. Isolated.

However, it's one of the few places in Alaska you can drive to, which means every one there has frequently been to Anchorage and in fact does most of their shopping in Anchorage. It isn't as if they're in some off the track town.

Like a lot of harbors in Alaska it is located on a small river delta surrounded by steep mountains. Which means it is a cramped little town, largely laid out with state money in orderly little rows. The oil money picks up the tab for the school and the local government. A lot of locals make their money off of fishing, just as many work for distant oil companies. Plenty of bars and some tourist traps that are just open summers. The people are the odd mix of locals and transients that is everywhere in Alaska, sometimes it seems as if everyone is just there temporarily, other times that nobody has ever left.

They have a nice park down on the waterfront and there is some good hiking in the Caines Head Park south of town, where you can see some ww 2 bunkers.

All of which tells you nothing about the actual town. Nothing makes a book suck more than an author who has no real idea about an area before they write about it. They end up just sticking in generic cliches from places they do know, which just end up seeming like pasteurized nothingness.

Skip using a real town for fiction, unless you've been to that town or at least the area and can use local flavor. Otherwise you're just basing your book off of something you saw in a Northern Exposure marathon five years ago.

• Thanks for your input but Alaska is the setting that really fits my story ...

• Jerry

Maybe post this in the travel section?