Kelsey asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 6 years ago

Civil War South v. 1950's South Arguments?

I'm having some trouble answering this question:

Southern states and representatives use the "states rights" argument to prevent the desegregation of public schools. Is it the same argument used by Southerners as to why they wanted to start a Civil War in 1861?

I have to explain this in 2-3 paragraph and I'm not sure what to include in the paragraphs, although I'm fairly sure the two arguments were similar (they both went against the previous national decisions on slavery).

THANK YOU!

• tuffy
    Favorite Answer

States Rights (Nullification) had been a concern since the ratification of the U.S. Constitution 1790's. The South maintained the states could refuse to follow federal laws if the federal law conflicted with a state law because the states who ratified the Constitution in the first place. Continuing to maintain segregation was cracked in 1954 when the SCOTUS case Brown vs Board of Education said public schools classrooms in the U.S. could no longer be segregated.

Both times and people believed that they had the right to their way of life. Both are wrong. It is nothing more than bigotry wrapped in the Constitution, trying to past it off as "our way of life."

Are you from Surry va?