?
? asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 6 years ago

Understanding the difference between holding a work permit and permanent residency: Which one is better to pursue?

I'm sure everyone on this website is familiar with my questions, but I will restate. I am an American student in community college who looks forward to attending university within Canada to pursue my eventual goal of becoming a citizen in the future. I have also established that its best for me to pursue education in the field of an "in demand" sector. Therefore, that's what I will do. However, I am still foggy as to what I should do after graduation from university x.

After graduating from a university and return to the states, would it be in my better interest to apply directly to be a permanent residency, or would I be better off to apply for a work permit? As others have told me in the past, the work permit is not really designed to be used for the purpose that I care to use it for. Not to mention, its not possible to look for work within Canada.

Which would be the best option to pursue?

Best Answer

It all depends on far you go (or can afford to go) with your education.

Most foreigners who earn a degree and want to stay in Canada apply to become legal Permanent Residents using the Canadian Experience Class immigration option:

Link - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/

Some, however, apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit to get work experience if they weren't able to gain any (or enough) while earning their degree.

(i.e.: their university didn't have a co-op program for the subject they studied or the student didn't get a Student Work Permit in order to participate in a co-op program for whatever reasons.)

Details on Post-Grad Work Permits here:

Link - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad.a...

For those who stick around to earn a PhD, there's a third option: Federal Skilled Worker immigration.

Details on that one here:

Link - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/app...

So if you're hard-core about your future, you'll need to sit down and seriously consider what you want to study, what Canadian university is the best one to learn it at, and how far you plan on going (bachelors degree or full Phd).

Only then will you be able to choose the best option for after you graduate.

Rona Latchet's answer (above) covers the territory with good insights. I have one item of advice that R missed. Way back in 1985 (I think) Canada, America and Mexico passed a huge treaty on trade and labour, the North America Free Trade Act (NAFTA). Get a copy of NAFTA At your local library and read the section on preferred professions and labourers we all agree to welcome to work in our respective countries. Teachers, for example, made the list. NAFTA also in 1st draft included jjournalists. I was elated, as I would be graduating from journalism school in a few years and there are always plentiful job openings in the US for reporters, writers and editors! Yay!

NOT! At the last second, for some mysterious reason (likely a US writers Guild or Union!) "journalists" got dropped from the list.

I suggest to you that a quick peek at the NAFTA document and its updates might give you a concrete idea of what worker areas the respective goverents welcome most readily.

Good luck!

You have been told the difference. Just like in the USA it is a two step process.

If you are not joining your family for example your spouse. You CANNOT just come to Canada to set up your tent and go for it.

1,00,00,000 people around the world want to move somewhere.

Why would Canada want YOU? There are millions around the world that want to come for free this or that from the taxpayers.

Be they a Haitian that has had his house destroyed in an Earthquake a Japanese family whose house is permanently uninhabitable due to Nuclear fallout.

A Doctor from some where land that just wants a change of scenery.

Everyone knows what you want out of Canada. The simple question what does Canada get out of you.

Sorry Canada has tens of thousands of University Graduates..They too would like to work in their own country.

Why does Canada NEED you? Do you have something special that Canada needs. Enjoyment of the scenery is not enough in these days of worldwide mass immigration. Everyone wants the BEST JOB at the HIGHEST salary for the lowest input price. Cheap school,cheap rent,discount this or that.

A person living in a shanty town working for pennies a day would gladly come to live in a tent and get minimum wage.You could not have enough planes to bring them all.

The younger generation on this planet does not get the FREE ride their parents and Grandparents had at the end of World war two when the economy expanded exponentially. The top 2% have gathered it for themselves and do not want to share.

Wonder how people like Warren Buffet are so rich. The buy out companies get rid of the many workers and keep it all for themselves. Do you really think the owners of Wallmart shop there.or sleep in their parking lot when on vacation.

You can apply for Permanent residency but you do that with a particular job class. Part of this being your education and proven work history in the desired field.

In limited fields it is possible to do this direct from Graduation.

No country has UNLIMITED jobs for ALL graduates. The best students have the Best chance to continue. Those students in a high demand field the day they graduate have the best chance for jobs in that field..Just like any grade one student can go to high school or University does not mean they can ALL be a Plumber.

The current job markets seems to stress re education and re training in other jobs every few years as the economy changes. be prepared to have multiple careers the days of the ten,twenty and thirty year employee are gone. The companies often do not last that long.

You can explore the job market in Canada. You cannot just apply for jobs as you see them. Just having the basic qualifications means what? You can apply. Hundreds of others also apply. It is your total package of education,work experience and live skills that moves you forward not just one thing.