=3 asked in PetsFish · 6 years ago

What are those tiny snails at petsmart?

The last two times I went to petsmart to purchase new fish, a really tiny snail snuck into the bags with the fish. They're not mystery snails and I only notice them in the tropical tanks. One of them was so tiny that I didn't even realize it got into my tank until a month later. I decided to keep both snails because I couldn't bare just killing them. So my questions are:

1) What kind are they? They have blue bodies and yellowish-brown shells. They are smaller than a pea.

2) Will they end up taking over the tank if they breed? I heard some snails will only breed in saltwater, but my tank is freshwater.

3) If they do breed, do they lay eggs above water or underwater? I used to have mystery snails and getting rid of their eggs were easy because they were above water and quite noticeable.

4) Will they end up eating my live plants?

Thanks in advance!

• Angela
    Favorite Answer

I agree with Kelly. Bladder snails. You will soon be infested with them. I would take them out and into another tank :)

Well if your tank is a Goldfish tank the Goldfish will eat them. If you have a tropical tank then I would not feed too much this will slow down their breeding if you want to keep them in your main tank.

Pet-smart also has

Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Ramhorn snails

and Mystery snails

Here identify your snails: http://www.planetinverts.com/snail_species.html

The bladder snails eggs are extremely difficult to find. They are translucent egg sacks.

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnF1cxVZU1s

Youtube thumbnail

These dudes are terrorists. If you don't give them enough food they will bite here and there at your plants (if you try to starve them out). If you overfeed though they will breed like crazy. My tanks are all small-ish tanks so I can't afford to have these dudes. I would separate them into another tank with filter and sand as a substrate if you want to keep them.

Like you I prefer Mystery snails or Nerite Snails not pond. I would rather have MTS since they burrow in the substrate and move the sand for you.

Don't let these dudes get inside your filters. Have a per-filter because if the do you might have issues with them screwing up your impaler.

Petsmart Snails

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What are those tiny snails at petsmart?

The last two times I went to petsmart to purchase new fish, a really tiny snail snuck into the bags with the fish. They're not mystery snails and I only notice them in the tropical tanks. One of them was so tiny that I didn't even realize it got into my tank until a month later. I...

Source(s): tiny snails petsmart: https://tr.im/x2YJZ

1) There are many types of snails which can hitchhike home on plants, decorations, animals, or even in the water; without a picture, the description isn't that helpful. Shell shape, patterning, and any sexual dimorphism would be helpful; most are smaller than a pea which is why they go undetected.

2) Most snails that are commonly found in fish stores (either for sale or by accident) are able to breed in freshwater and will proliferate quickly in the right conditions.

3) Depends on the species.

4) Potentially, but some snails just like grazing on whatever's growing on the plants rather than the plants themselves.

• Lisa

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/HyX8R

Conch like snails are pond snails/tadpole snails. Spiral,Brown,Spotted are MTS( Malaysian Trumpeter Snails)--Might be a bit tough for Puffers Round donut with a spiral in the middle are Ramshorn snails. Try Petsmart, they have them everywhere.

They're most likely apple snails if you got them from petsmart it depends on where you live. Most snails lay their eggs above the waterline, snails will be capable of laying eggs every week so be careful. They will also breed if temperature in your tank rises and they eat a lot, aka your live plants. One snail alone is a VORACIOUS eater, they basically never stop eating and one can destroy all the plants in your tank over a short period of time. More often than not snails are actually considered pests in the tank because of how badly they ravage live plants. Should they breed, consider your live plants good as gone. I suggest removing live plants and getting fake ones that way you can feed them and regulate what and how much they eat.

Set yourself up a snail breeding 'tank' Could be a big plastic bin by the window. Put a little filter in it and treat it like a tank. Put some snails in and feed them some chunks of vege. Do normal water changes etc. Wait for them to breed, then throw the excess ones in the puffer tank. Never ending supply of nice tasty snails for your puffer. You should be able to get a handfull of breeding stock almost anywhere. Ian

it's probably not a big deal. when i had a fishtank, i had snails too, and they actually helped because they ate up the algae on the glass, which means i didn't have to clean the tank as much. they might nibble on the plants a bit, but they're not really designed to eat anything bigger than algae. and even if they breed, they probably won't overtake the tank- the fish will probably eat the eggs if they find them, and if they don't, just remove the snails that hatch and, like, sell them to the neighborhood kids or something. they'll pay like a buck apiece for rad snails.

Sounds like bladder snails (also known as tadpole snails). They are hermaphrodites so you only need one for them to breed. Yes they will lay eggs, they will lay them on any hard surface under the water. Thet are freshwater snails and they shouldnt get out of control unless your overfeeding your tank.

They dont eat live plants, they only eat dead plant matter. So you may see them on your plants but they only eat the dead bits, which is actually beneficial for your plants.