I got a 1510 on my SAT. Do I even have a little of a chance to get accepted to an Ivy League..?

First, please please please no rude comments. I am literally crying because I did better on the PSAT... I know it's not a good score 1510, I just wanna crawl into a ball and not even try anymore. It's my first time but I literally have not much time to improve, I'm a junior.

Please, anyone, give me tips on how to improve, I'm already taking a cheap SAT class, I can't afford an expensive one. My twin literally got 200 points more than me and so did all of my friends. I am so sad and I am willing to just practice non stop until the June test. Any help please?...

[I wanted to go to an Ivy League... Of course now its a LONG shot from that. I'm probably gonna settle for a state school but I'm still gonna try really hard to improve my score]

• 
    Favorite Answer

Look, even your twin has no chance to go to an Ivy League school. The person, of all the people I know, with the lowest SAT score and got into an Ivy League school was my friend Megan, who got into Princeton with a 2230.

And trust me, your SAT score is the SECOND most important; your GPA is most important, teacher recommendation letters is third and extracurricular activities is fourth (that's what my counselor told me).

And the PSAT is a HORRIBLE indicator of your actual SAT score. For many, their SAT scores are about 200 points lower than their PSAT score.

And it's very hard to improve your score. Just sitting in SAT class and taking notes or something isn't going to anything. You need to IMPLEMENT the advice your instructor tells you. It doesn't matter if it's expensive or cheap - they're all SAT classes to help you.

There's this person my aunt knows, and he's runs a very large SAT tutoring business that's famous in Silicon Valley. The man went to Harvard, Cornell, and Columbia. However, his daughter goes to a mediocre college... you know why? Because she never implemented the things her dad told her. The man had at least thirty students who got a perfect score on the SAT, while his daughter got something like an 1800. So it doesn't matter if you have an expensive tutor.

Also, my cousins and I never had a tutor. My older cousin got a 2390, the younger got a 2320, and I got a 2110.

Here are some tips:

Critical Reading: The first part is just sentence completion; you need to know vocabulary. The second part is reading passages. You just need to find the answers to the questions in the passages. It's not too hard- it's just that you only have 25 minutes. That's why you practice.

Math: Overall, not too hard. The concepts are really easy. However, the math section never requires advanced knowledge; it requires advanced REASONING. That's why it's so hard. If you could decipher the questions, you're good. The math section contains Algebra I, Geometry, and tad bits of Algebra II.

Writing: There's an essay involved; it sucks. However, the prompt will be a lot more vague than the prompt your English teacher gives you. In fact, you could make up examples. My friend made up a country called Mamatimba. My other friend made up a book. I wrote about this dude who would always sound pretentious, but the thing is, the guy doesn't exist. It's not too hard. If you write a really good introductory paragraph, you're good.

Then, you just have to learn grammar. Learn your grammar rules; I don't know why, but this is the section many people struggle with (I know many people who get 300s on this section).

Get this book:

http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQprZ71757721

This is by the College Board, the makers of the test. The only problem with this book is that it doesn't give any answer explanations.

You'll have to go online to find them.

First, you say "state school" like it's some horrible thing, and it's not. Look at the University of Texas, for example, for Texas high school students, you have to be in the top 10% to get in so drop the idea that "state schools" are a death sentence for your future plans. Secondly, I strongly believe that SAT prep courses do not help your scores as much as you would think they do (I got a 1850, no prep classes) but that was on my second try on the test, so retake it as many times as you can. Also, the SAT is designed to measure what you have learned in your high school years, not what a prep course can cram into you, so every class you've taken should have prepared you for the test.

Good luck with the June test.

• Steph6 years agoReport

You're right, I wasn't thinking when I typed state schools I know there are amazing ones! I truly do, I was just disappointed in myself and I know that's no reason to anyway. Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

Yes you do! You can definitely improve your SAT score. Don't worry, I also had problems with the SAT and didn't score well at first. I recommend studying with the GuideParadise SAT guide - http://www.guideparadise.com

Using it I improved my score by 460 points from 1700 to 2160.

Let me know if you need any more help!

its only your first try. You can try using the online college board practice test which gives you an approx. score on how you will do. Or you can spend more time reviewing questions. That's all there is left. Don't stress out too much