Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 6 years ago

Quirky jazz songs, tilts, and aerials?

Okay 3 questions:

1. I need sassy, fun, quirky jazz music! Sonya Tayeh type music if you will. Similar to What's a Girl Gotta Do-Basement Jaxx. and I don't know the title but Benilde St. Margrets dance team high kick 2014 "All Dolled Up"(on YouTube) has a great song too! Music like this would be appreciated!

2. I would love to put a tilt into my routine! I have my middle splits but still need more flexibility/stretches, core, and leg workouts to get a great tilt. Other tips please!

3. Lastly, my aerial of course. I got it last summer but it kinda looked more horizontal like a flying squirell haha if you know what I mean. Any tips to get it back? I haven't done one since!

Sorry for the long answer but please help and thank you!

Favorite Answer

JAZZ

Pink Floyd--- Summer ’68, Coming back to life, Lost for words, Great day for freedom, San Tropez

High hopes, Lucifer Sam

Billy Joel—Only the good die young, We didn’t start the fire, Uptown girl, River of dreams

David Hasselhoff--Queen of the rain, Try a little tenderness, Dark Side of my heart, Crazy on a Saturday night, Until the last teardrop falls

Evanescence--Bring me to life, Lose control, The only one, Breathe no more, Even in death ,Going under,

Everybody’s fool, Sweet sacrifice, Call me when you’re sober, sick, lost in paradise

Sarah Brightman—Fly, When it rains in America, Rain, How can heaven love me, You take my breath away, It’s a beautiful day, Arabian nights, Harem, I lost my heart to a starship trooper (hot gossip)

Paula Abdul- Vibeology, Cold Hearted Snake, Straight up, to you, the way that you love me

Miami Sound Machine- Dr. beat, Conga, Primitive love, prisoner of love, rhythm is gonna get ya, 1-2-3, movies

Rob Zombie—Dragula, Spookshow baby, Phantom Stranger

Enigma --Gravity of love, Silence must be heard, Principles of lust, Sadness

Meatloaf—If this is the last kiss, everything louder than everything else, bat out of hell, rock & roll dreams come true, You took the words right out of my mouth, not a dry eye in the house, los angeloser

Charlotte Church—Don’t think about it, moodswings, dream a dream (Elysium), call my name, crazy chick

the Doors--People are strange, LA Woman, Waiting on the sun, hello I love you, love me two times, when the music's over

Black muddy river—grateful dead

Underneath the radar—underworld

Put your lights on—Santana

She wolf—Shakira

Mercy—Duffy

Fighter—Christina Aguilera

Rad --Music that you can dance to-The Sparks, Send me an angel—Real Life, Thunder in your heart—John Farnham, Get Strange—Hubert Kah

Loved by the sun, Is your love strong enough —Tangerine Dream (Legend)

She’s like the wind—Patrick Swayze (dirty Dancing)

Tonight is what it means to be young—Fire Inc (Streets of fire)

Love is in the air—John Paul Young (Strictly Ballroom)

It’s my turn to fly—The Urge (Titan AE)

Chilly Down, Magic dance —David Bowie (Labyrinth)

Batdance, Partyman-Prince (Batman)

One more time –Michael Bolton, What’s the matter with love—Laurena Wilerson (Sing)

Only my heart talking—Alice Cooper

Buttons, When I grow up —PCD

Striptease—Danity Kane

Circus—Britney Spears

When the rush comes—Motorcycle

Sledgehammer—Peter Gabriel

Talking in your sleep—The Romantics

Crystal Blue persuasion—Tommy James & The Shondells

Silent Lucidity—Queensryche

Abracadabra—Steve Miller Band

Red red wine—UB40

Godzilla—Blue oyster cult

Who’s Johnny-El Debarge

Set the night to music—Starship

What have you done for me lately, nasty, black cat—Janet Jackosn

No more tears, Zombie Stomp —Ozzy Osbourne

It’s raining men—Weather Girls

Dream Weaver—Gary Wright

Set adrift on memory bliss-PM Dawn

Moon Baby--Godsmack

Won’t back down-Eminem

More than a kiss-Tommy Conwell (shout)

Kentucky Rain, An American Trilogy, There’s a brand new day on the horizon, & other songs —Elvis

Love you to death—Kamelot

My destiny—Leaves’ Eyes

I Like it—Enrique Iglesas

Only girl—Rihanna

Rock you like a hurricane-scorpions

Teen Witch-- Finest hour-Cindy Valentine aka Valentine Leone, I like boys-Elizabeth & the Weirz, Never gonna be the same again—Lori Russo aka Valentine Leone

Detroit Rock City—Kiss

Dreamstate-Liquid Sky

Crossing the River-Eddi Reader (Batman Forever)

Shake your cosmic thang, Channel Z —The B-52’S

Cause I’m a blonde-Julie Brown (Earth Girls are easy)

Naughty girls need love too—Samantha Fox

Dirty Diana (and others)—Michael Jackson

Marry the night-Lady Gaga

Holiday, lucky star, &many others--Madonna

She’s a rebel-Green Day

Roses of Success, me ol' bamboo-Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Here are some stretches to help you work on your splits/flexibility. (The pics are me and were taken 4-24-12)

I do not suggest trying to do an over-split until you can do the splits. That would be like doing an aerial before you learned to do a cartwheel. Try not to bounce when stretching, try to keep your back straight and lean into the stretch nice and slow. You don’t want to rush a stretch, you may injury yourself and it’s not as beneficial in the long run. Do not have someone push you down into them, you may get injured. And make sure you are warmed up--jumping jacks are a good way to warm up your whole body at once.

For the straddle--lay on your back with your butt against the wall. Extend your legs up the wall and then let them fall into the straddle stretch gravity will help pull your legs down (you can also pull down on them to get them farther. Hold as long as you can. Repeat a few times. Also when you are doing your normal stretching in the straddle position, right before you are done stretching, lean forward into the middle and then try to pull through the stretch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MhiIL6Aojo

Youtube thumbnail

&playnext=1&list=PL796002DA6BCB9B15 (watch around the 15 sec mark for what I’m referring to)

Another one for the straddle is to sit on your butt facing the wall and try to get as close as you can to the wall and still be in the straddle position.

For the other splits--lay on your back, bring a leg into your chest, hold a few seconds, then extend it. Grab your leg and try to pull it as close to you as you can and hold it, repeat a couple of times bending the knee and extending it. On the last extend, while holding your leg, roll over into the splits. Repeat on your other leg.

These are partner and/or solo---stand against a wall, lift your leg, have your friend lift it as high as they can. And hold it as long as you can. Both knees should be straight. The goal is to touch the wall with your foot. Repeat with your other leg. Also remember to pull it to the side for a heel stretch.

Next lay on your back on the ground and have your friend push your extended leg towards the ground. Same idea as the stretch above, but it works the muscles in a slightly different way since you are in a different position.

Another stretch which will help your splits (and your arabesque penchee). You will need to find a blank spot on a wall and grab a chair. Now facing away from the wall and holding onto the chair for support, take a leg and slide it up the wall like you are going into splits. Hold it for as long as possible then switch legs. Try to keep your legs straight. As you work the stretch move the chair closer to the wall until you are touching the wall in a vertical split.

Next move into a doorway and work one leg up or down the frame depending on what you are trying to stretch. I just tried a few doorway stretches for the first time and I was able to put my foot against the door frame and got a completely vertical split in the needle (6’ oclock) position. This link is so you can see what position I’m talking about. http://kittyscott.shutterfly.com/17055#17054

Another that helped me was to stand up and bend over like you were doing a standing pike stretch, then choose a leg and swing it up vertically as far as you can 7 times and on the eighth time hold the leg as high as you can (you will be in the needle or 6 o’clock position at this point) and then when you let the leg down try to get into the splits. Then repeat with the other leg.

Hip--butterfly, frog,http://thehudsonvalleyrandonneur.blogspot.com/2011... http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t...

As long as you don’t rush and push yourself too fast, you can really make progress fast. Make sure that you really work both sides as evenly as you can. Don’t lose faith, I’m 36 and only got my left splits recently and they could still be cleaner, it just takes time and you can do it. http://kittyscott.shutterfly.com/17055#17053

For a heel stretch or to do a pretty leg hold turn you need to be able to put your chest to your legs in the pike position. The closer you can get your body the better it will look.

I can't do an aerial so I can't help with that