Why are my movie scripts so short?

I do plan on learning more about Script/Movie Script/Screen Play writing in college but I write them for fun, and plan to use them for my future but, for some reason every time I write one it ends up being about 35 to 40 pages long. I do know that one page equals a one minute scene in a movie. What the funny thing is my scripts are not missing anything part of the story, none of the structure is missing and the story makes since is detailed etc..... all my friends read them and always tell me they would watch them over and over because of how good they are. I know the typical movie script is 90 pages long, mine do not even make it that far, I have a few I am trying to make to 100 pages but that is another story for another day. Why do my movie scripts end so short, everyone tells me when I ask them about that, they say the stories are not missing a thing, as I said they are very detailed, very entertaining, makes them laugh (some of them), they are amazed at how well I can tell a story (my best friend says i have a talent for it, well everyone says that). It concerns me of why mine end at around the 30 to 40 page mark but they do tell the story and the movies play out in my head piece by piece bit by bit, and i see it as an hour length movie or a two hour movie in 35 pages which is strange according to the research i have done.

Favorite Answer

Analyse some movies and find out how they manage to stretch out the story for a couple of hours or more. Note also that most movies show introductory scenic or background material in which there is no dialogue, usually when changing timeframe or location within the story; that stretches iout the time a little, or sometimes a lot.

I have just watched the movie of "Far from the Madding Crowd". The opening 5 minutes or more shows simply the disaster when the dog goes mad at night and drives a large flock of sheep over the cliff into the sea, eventually seen by the shepherd who wakes up. In all that time no word is spoken. Then there is the sword-skill demonstration by Sgt Troy - again several minutes of intense action with scarcely a word spoken.

Don't get so tied up with the technicalities. Get the movie made and shown.