What transmissions can handle the torque on an electric motor?

I'm looking for a sports car that has a transmission that can handle a lot of torque from an electric motor. Like a mr2. Would love to use the newer mr2 smg transmission, but I doubt it will be able to work with the transmission, so it would have to be a older mr2 if it would work I heard they can handle a lot of torque/hp. Maybe a 240z? What cars have transmissions that can handle high torque?

Favorite Answer

Electric motors come in many sizes. Any transmission could easily handle the torque used to run a blender. Electric motors made for electric cars are usually made to run an EV directly without the need for a transmission.

In conversions transmissions are often left in the vehicle as a mechanical means to obtain a reverse gear and as a simple way to connect into the drive train. The transmission is attached to the vehicle so that it will not spin. Therefore the electric motor only has to be mounted to the transmission.

One popular sports car EV conversion is a Mitsubishi Miata: http://evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=1643

• John

Harley, in a car even an electric motor will benefit from the torque multiplication provided by a gearbox.

"What cars have transmissions that can handle high torque?"

pretty much all cars. Think how much torque is applied when you go up a steep hill. I'd have thought an MR2 gearbox would be just about ideal.

You may need to adjust the drive ratios depending on the rpm available from the motor.

You haven't specified an electric motor, so it's hard to know what would and what would not handle it. I do know that Tesla could not find an automotive transmission that would let them use the full torque of the electric motor in the Roadster. So it's a problem.

electric cars don't need transmissions the motor can pull from zero to top speed with a flat torque curve so doesn't need gears

You're funny, read a book dude.