So i just started to work at McDonald's for about a week and I got mono from my family?

I already called in yesterday and I'm off today but Im scheduled for tomorrow. Since I'm new can they fire me for calling in a couple of days even though I'm sick? Because I really want to work but I feel horrible and mono is contagious.i worked hard to get a job and I really don't want to get fired for being sick:( (I also showed the manager a doctors note)

Favorite Answer

Mcd policy is not to come in if your sick especially since u have mono and will be handling

food. Be honest with your boss... cant fight nature, revolve around it.

Yes, the can fire you. If you are missing days and you just started they will assume this is your normal behavior, and why would they want someone like that when there are a million other qualified and over qualified young people wanting a job? It is good that you showed the doctors note, maybe your boss is more laid-back than most.

Doctors' notes doesn't mean squat. This is not High School.

You are in a tricky situation, and here is why.

Your employer cannot fire you for calling in sick. But, there is a big BUT.

You are an "at will" employee. At will employees have no job security. They can be fired for any reason or for no reason at all just as they are free to quit their jobs no explanation needed.

Your employer may not fire you while you are out sick, but that doesn't prevent him from doing so the minute you return back to work.

Take care

Most states, they can fire you for any reason, even more so in the probationary period. Doctors notes do not guarantee anything. It will be up to the boss to make that decision. Keep your fingers crossed.