What are the food safety guidelines recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics?

As far as when you can introduce foods like sunny side up eggs and medium or rare steak?

• Pippin
    Favorite Answer

I'm not finding any specific guidelines on this topic. I found a factsheet that discusses foodborne illness, but it doesn't mention specific ages for the introduction of specific foods.

http://www.aap.org/en-us/advocacy-and-policy/feder...

And actually, medium/rare steaks are not an issue for anyone. (Especially for anyone capable of chewing them.) Bacteria from the environment or the animal's digestive system cannot get into the muscle; so as long as the outside of the meat is cooked, that will kill any surface bacteria and the steak is safe to eat.

The potential risk is from ground meat -- when the meat is ground up, bacteria on the surface gets mixed into the the whole mass. And if the meat is then not thoroughly cooked, it can survive and make us ill. (I'm a healthy adult and I'm willing to risk a bit of tummy bug for a nice rare burger .. but a toddler or frail older adult would be at greater risk of serious harm.)

• Star L

I introduced steak at a year old, when she had enough teeth. it wasnt rare, but it was medium well.

I'm not sure it matters how much the steak is cooked- thats only ground meat like hamburger.

I'd be more concerened if your baby could chew it well.

eggs, sunny side up, id say at least 6 months old but I'd prob do it at a year. Its hard to eat sunny side up eggs (unless they are going to dip toast in it)