Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 6 years ago

What does the name Eloise mean?

What are some pretty girl names that are kind of like Eloise?

I am looking for something cute, classy, elegant, not too common.

I will except other suggestions.

Some more examples of names I like... Margo, Sonya, Evangalion, Lidia, and Olive.

I also care a lot about the meaning of the name.

So anything you find fitting the traits I described is welcome.

Um.. but be creative. Nothing like Bella cause it means beauty. Or Rose because Roses are elegant.

I also won't mimd out of the box stuff. The more the better.

I will pick my favorite answer.

Favorite Answer

Meaning/Origin of Eloise:

Eloise Pronunciation: EH-loh-eez

Origin of the name Eloise:

Of uncertain origin and meaning, some believe it is from the Germanic Helewidis, a compound name composed of the elements haila (hale, hearty, sound) and vid (wide). Others believe it is a feminine form of Louis, which is from the Old High German Hluodowig (famous in war), a compound name composed from the elements hluod (famous) and wīga (war): hence, "famous in war." The name was borne by the wife (d. 1164) of French theologian Peter Abelard (1079 - 1142) whose secret marriage was avenged by Eloise's uncle in the manner of Abelard being beaten and castrated. He became a monk and Eloise became an abbess of a nunnery.

Related Names:

Eloisa, Heloise, Elouise

Nicknames for Eloise:

Ellie/Elly

Ella

Elle

Elsie

Elsa

Elise

Els/Elz

Elzee

Elf

Elo (as in 'ello, 'ello!)

Lulu

Lolo

Lola

Lucy

Lou

Lily

Lula

Lulabelle

Lois

Ouisie

Meanings and history of the name Eloise

Eloise is the english form of the modern french name Éloïse (pronounced ay-lo-eez) which comes from the old french name Héloïse. The name Héloïse is thought to come from the Germanic name Helewidis (composed of the elements heil "hale, healthy" and wid "wide".) Eloise is associated with the Greek word ‘ηλιος (helios) "sun". It is also associated sometimes with the name Louise, though there is no likely etymological connection to between the two. Eloise is of mainly teutonic origin and with it's meanings being noble one and a healthy person.

The name was made famous in the 12th century by the love letters between Heloise and Abelard.

Hurricane Eloise was the fifth tropical storm, fourth hurricane, and second major hurricane of the 1975 Atlantic hurricane season. The most destructive hurricane, and the only hurricane to hit the United States in that season. When Eloise hit the Florida Panhandle as a major hurricane, it became the only major hurricane to hit Panama City, Florida in the century.

Eloise, an opera by Karl Jenkins.

^All of the above is from babynamewizard.com^

Here are some similar names and their meanings:

Lou-The name Lou is a French baby name. In French the meaning of the name Lou is: Famous warrior, from the Old German 'Chlodovech'.

Elle-Elle is a female name, which is usually pronounced "Ell", but is sometimes pronounced "Ellie". It derives from the French pronoun "elle", meaning "she".

Ellen-Ellen \e(l)-len\ as a girl's name is pronounced EL-en. It is of Greek origin, and the meaning of Ellen is "sun ray, shining light."

Louise-In German the meaning of the name Louise is: Renowned warrior. French Meaning: The name Louise is a French baby name. In French the meaning of the name Louise is: Famous warrior.

Louisa-The name Louisa is a Latin baby name. In Latin the meaning of the name Louisa is: Latin feminine form of Louis: Famous warrior.

Ellie-The name Ellie is an English baby name. In English the meaning of the name Ellie is: AGreek Helen, meaning shining light, or most beautiful woman.

Eliana-Eliana, אֶלִיעַנָה (Hebrew), Ηλιάνα (Greek), إليانا (Arabic), is a female given name found with that spelling in Italian, Portuguese and Spanish. Origin & Meaning[edit] Many sources derive it from Hebrew, literally translated as "My God has answered me."

Elise-The name Elise is a Hebrew baby name. In Hebrew the meaning of the name Elise is: From Elisheba, meaning either oath of God, or God is satisfaction.

Names meaning beautiful:

Jamille: Beautiful

Kenna: Attractive

Lana: Attractive, peaceful

Naveen: Beautiful

Belinda: Very beautiful

Jolie: Cheerful, pretty

Elle: Beautiful fairy

Lily: Purity and beauty

Mabel: My beautiful one

Alana

Amara

Anahi

Arabella

Belinda

Bella

Belle

Bonita

Bonnie

Calla

Callista

Hermosa

Ilona

Jamilla

Jolie

Linda

Mei

Mirabella

Naava

Ramana

Rosalind

Shaina

Shakila

Vashti

Venus

Zaina

Eloise Name Meaning

Eloise Name

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What does the name Eloise mean?

I will except other suggestions.

So...

Source(s): eloise mean: https://shortly.im/ITrmp

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axYhX

Hey *Princess*, Eloise name - meaning and origin Name: EloiseOrigin:French Meaning:Eloise name means: Intelligent, smart Gender:Girl OR The girl's name Eloise e-loi-se is pronounced el-o-WEE. It is of Old German origin, and its meaning is "famous warrior". Éloise is the French variant of Louise made famous in the 12th century by the love letters between Heloise and Abelard. Literary: Name of a character in Kay Thompson's books for children. I think it all depends on the nationality of the person or their parents.

I love the name Eloise! It means battle maiden, intelligant, smart. Other names I would suggest are Ella, Louise, Louisa, Heloise, Mia, Alexandra, Eva, Ainsley, Olivia, Sophie/Sophia, Claire, Clara, Emma/Emily, Alice, Halle, Isobel/Isabella, Imogen, Charlotte, Caitlin

Eloise is awesome, Elaine is good too. Lucy is adorbs. NOTHING WITH "a" on the end Calla, Colista, Hermosa. SO PLAYED OUT and when it comes to a boy….nothing with "en" or "an" on the end Jaden, Evan, Devan. Also VERY PLAYED OUT!!!

• Naomi

Eloise is a French name meaning "healthy".

Some other names meaning "healthy":

Eloisa (Spanish/Italian)

Heloise (German/French)

Marini (Swahili)

Salima (Arabic; pronounced "SAH-lee-mah")

Salvia (Latin)

Valentina (Latin)

Valentine (French)

Zulma (Arabic)

Zuly (Arabic)

Source(s): nameberry.com

it is cute and sounds so cool.