Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Protestants, what do you think of the Pope's message to Kenneth Copeland?

I'm glad the Catholic church has finally admitted salvation is by faith alone, but didn't Luther nail 95 theses to the door in Wittenberg?

Text of Luther's theses -

http://www.uncommon-travel-germany.com/martin-luth...

Pope's message to Copeland -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MOWWniALSU

Youtube thumbnail

@PaulCyp, I'll word that better - we are saved by grace through faith (Eph 2:8), or put another way, we access this saving grace through faith (Rom 5:2). No one argues that the grace is from God, only what is our part in it - and scripture clearly shows our part to be faith, not works.

You cite Matthew 25 as evidence that salvation is by works also - but don't you think it's strange that the goats are clearly shocked they're being told they don't have these good works, and likewise the sheep are shocked to find out they do? What's up with that? Doesn't someone know when they have good works or not? Or are you reading it wrong?

@gismoll, I pity the quadriplegic then who can't do any good works, or the person who cries out to God on their deathbed and has no time for them. See the problem with your doctrine of unfinished work at calvary? You seem to suggest I am against good works, where you get that I am baffled. But I am speaking of justification, not sanctification.

@cristoiglesia, the just shall live by faith. But call me a heretic if you want - it just means things haven't changed since the inquisition.

@Romans, the Bishop who relayed the video made this claim (Bishop Tony Palmer), more than once in the link I included, apparently he was a friend of the Pope's before he became Pope and had an audience with him, which is when they recorded the video message together.

• Doug
    Favorite Answer

Kenneth Copeland doesn't represent all of Christianity like the Pope represents Catholicism.

Catholicism is a corrupted version of what Jesus started, and those who follow the Bibles teachings will never unite with Catholicism, ever.

Source(s): Born again Christian

Paul Cyp is right: the Catholic Church has always taught the same message about salvation. What can be maddening is how many people beat their heads against the wall - or should I say the Rock - before their stupid bigotry is overcome.

A quadriplegic can't do good works? Don't protestants teach about intercessory prayer anymore?

Re:Mister Copeland. I used to follow and give money to him. Whatever his flaws, I am convinced he follows Christ the best he knows how. Before I dreamed of becoming Catholic, I remember him teaching his followers about the Church. He said - to my astonishment - Mary was a unifying factor. Mary's message is the same as every Christian's message: "Look to Jesus and do whatever he says."

PS We're in the middle of the biggest and bloodiest genocide in human history. Can we get a little help from you people in supporting LIFE instead of squabbles?

Looks like you already got the true answer from Paul herein. Stop trying to change the teaching of the Church. James is as about as verbatim as it gets in this subject. Paul quote herein: "Salvation is by grace alone, but not by faith alone, as the Bible plainly and repeatedly states. If you think salvation is by faith alone - an idea that no Christian on earth ever heard of until a few hundred years ago - read the last dozen verses of Matt 25. It provides a whole list of the kinds of works required of Christians, and then says that those who fail to do them will go to Hell. Pretty straightforward!"

Then read James again until it really sinks in.

2

2

The Catholic Church still teaches exactly what it has taught since apostolic times. Its founder, Jesus Christ, promised its leadership, "The Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth", and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me". Truth cannot change. Therefore the teaching of the original and true Christian Church never changes.

Salvation is by grace alone, but not by faith alone, as the Bible plainly and repeatedly states. If you think salvation is by faith alone - an idea that no Christian on earth ever heard of until a few hundred years ago - read the last dozen verses of Matt 25. It provides a whole list of the kinds of works required of Christians, and then says that those who fail to do them will go to Hell. Pretty straightforward!

I guess he speaks kind of slowly, and repeats "nostalgia" a lot, but it sounds good so far (not done yet). The Catholic church has always taught that Jesus is the Way the Truth and the Life. (sometimes I misremembered "Life" as "Light" when I was a kid). They say it a lot. I don't know why protestants make such a big deal about the works part of it, because in the Catholic faith, in humility and united to the Holy Spirit, it is the Holy Spirit Who does the works, not us. We are just led there. Our default setting is to be nothing and He is Everything. It is when we let our own power get in the way of God's Power that we lose.

In that all things are good and we should be united as brothers, this false teaching of protestants has to end (that "Catholics are not saved because of their teaching of works") This is a ploy by the Evil One to keep brothers apart. So think well on who taught you this false teaching and refute that person from your life.

The next step is accepting the teaching that " unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you."

"If there is no protest, where is the Protestant Church?" I like that one.

The Church never has and never will teach the heresy of "faith alone". Such a belief is forbidden in the Bible in the writing of St. James.

James 2:24 (RSVCE)

24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.

God bless!

In Christ

Fr. Joseph

I don't care about the 94 thesis as much as I care that great men across the world In every religion are receiving the Spirit of cooperation and brotherhood. There are no challenges this approach cannot overcome. God bless them all.

• Sara

I like this Pope, don't know much about him but he certainly looks tired and sick.

Kenneth Copeland is profoundly irritating.

Copeland could have had a parallel life as an auctioneer.

The Catholic Church has always taught that salvation is ONLY through the Precious Blood of Jesus, shed on the Cross as the perfect sacrifice for our sins. The Pope isn't saying anything new or different.

What the Church does NOT believe in is "Once saved, always saved." That's a false doctrine put forth by certain Protestant groups to justify their own skewed theology (and in some cases, to justify their return to their church after a fall into sin.)

Catholics believe that we were saved by Christ's atoning death, we are being saved by obedience to God's commandments, and we will be saved through God's mercy and the gift of final perseverance. Salvation is a process, not a one-time event.

The description of a fallen-away believer in the Book of Hebrews* makes it very clear that we cannot presume on God's mercy to do as we please. Jesus never leaves us, but we can certainly turn our backs on Him and His gift of salvation.

* Hebrews 6:4-6 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Edit:

The question is not whether Protestants will reunite with Catholics. The fallen-away have no say in the matter of acceptance and reunion.

The issue is whether Protestants will ever drop their rebellion, heresies, and pride in order to be reconciled with the Catholic Church. Protestants will need to humble themselves and be willing to return to the true Church founded by Christ.

The day of one Fold and one Shepherd will be a reality. But it will be on Christ's terms -- not Protestants' demands.

Source(s): Catholic Christian

Kenneth Copeland is a con man so I don't care about this. The pope is a liar so I think this is all fake but I am happy the Catholic church lets people have faith.

GOD BLESS YOU!!.

Source(s): Christian