Do you really need to compare SAO to Log Horizon?

I'm on episode 22 of Log Horizon and I know everyone is saying that this is better than SAO. I can understand why they are saying that and I think that they are wrong for saying that. Ultimately SAO and Log Horizon are definitely not the same concept, even though if you read the synopsis they sound almost... show more I'm on episode 22 of Log Horizon and I know everyone is saying that this is better than SAO. I can understand why they are saying that and I think that they are wrong for saying that. Ultimately SAO and Log Horizon are definitely not the same concept, even though if you read the synopsis they sound almost identical. The two shows were aiming for two completely different feels to them.

People complain about SAO because it doesn't have a lot of character development and it goes to fast. I think SAO is perfect that way because Kirito is on a seriously long adventure, the series isn't long enough for him to stop and have a cup of tea with the little dragon girl while she talks about her history, and he couldn't just bring all his friends with him as he progressed either, it was the only way the plot could have worked without being (for lack of a better word) ghaaaay. SAO is about the epic plot. Pretty much one guy has to survive an entire army of deadly NPCs to save thousands of people and his new family. Its not about living happily in a game world.

People love Log Horizon because it focuses a lot more on the characters and not the progression of the plot. Yea it is great to see the newbies learning how to fight and watch everyone grow more united. But that is that and SAO is SAO. Why do you hate SAO so much and why do you need to compare it to an anime so different?
Update: @ Émile-Liam Guénier - How so? I can't see why