Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 7 years ago

If you were a HS coach what type or QB would you rather have?

Would you rather have a Johnny manziel/ Russell Wilson/ Aaron Rodgers type of QB someone who scrambles in the pocket to throw or a Michael Vick/ Colin Kaepernick/ RG3 Someone who just takes off when no ones open?.

The reason I ask this is because I plan on playing QB next season in freshman football and I just found out a kid at my school wants to be the QB also. He's faster and has a bigger arm with more zip on the ball basically more athletic than me an he falls in the Michael Vick category while I'm more of a pocket passer but have the scrambling ability of manziel or Russell Wilson and I'm more accurate and and have good touch on the ball and I have pretty good football IQ. I'm just worried that the HC next season will choose him over me because he's more athletic while I'm more of a less athletic QB with very good pocket movement and escapability ability. Also because I'm salvadorian and the kid im competing is black.

So if you had to choose what type of QB to go with would you go with the guy who is super athletic who runs just to run or the guy who isn't as athletic but can make pretty much every throw although my deep pass need a little work while the other dude has cannon arm an all he does is take shots down field but if no ones open he just takes off almost every time. He only goes deep and runs and has amazing speed while I make every throw and scramble to find open receiver but I don't have the amazing speed and arm strength he has

I just hope I win the QB competition.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

I would want a player that would come to me for advice instead of asking complete strangers on Yahoo Answers if he should play quarterback or not..... Good luck.....

Well, i want the guy with the better football IQ and pocket presence! I don't want a guy who just throws bombs to nobody, QB's that can run don't tend to have that pocket poise either, they tend to run even when there was better decision, especially in HS because they want to show off! I would want somebody who can just extend a play long enough so that a receiver can get open

Someone who follows instruction, has good instincts, good footwork, runs out fakes after handing off, and pitches the ball accurately on sweeps. Notice that I didn't mention passing. That's because school ball isn't Madden; you're going to run the ball 95% of the time.

On a JV football team, the coaches are going to go with the better athlete almost every time.

• ?

Screw QB's in high school! I want a strong Defense and a hell of a running game.