Brake squeal after new pads?

Hey all I am kind of new at this just tryinn to learn - Me and a friend changed just the front brake pads on hyundai sonata 012 (wagner thermo-quiets 50$ ceramic)about a week ago . This was the first ever brake job done for the car so I assumed the rotors were fine . We made sure it was greased up everywhere it was supposed to, all I did not touch was the rotors (Didn't replace or turn them) ..since then my front brakes have been squealing only when I lightly apply pressure on the brakes slowing down , and goes away completely when pressed down harder. I realized I should have probably changed or turned my rotors after I already drove with the new pads on the old rotors for about a week so it's probably too late now. I am just wondering whether this noise go away eventually (what I initially figured it would) from the pads perhaps wearing back into the old rotors ? Or am I better off not waiting for this because the noise won't to away and I should just change the pads again along with the rotors!?

ANY SUGGESTIONS OR ADVICE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Best Answer

Congratulations on doing your first brake job!!! It could be worse, at least the brakes stop your car! Wagner Thermo Quiets in my opinion are the best pads out there next to the OEM pads.and the only type I use. The noise your hearing is because of glaze on your rotors. It's that shiny look you saw on the face of the rotors. It's the old pad material and road grime that becomes embedded in the rotors overtime, almost like welded into the rotors from the extreme heat brakes are exposed to. There's a chance that the noise may go away. There's a chance it won't. The question is how annoying is it to you? You can try driving the car a few more day's hoping or brake harder every time you stop. These day's it isn't cost effective to machine rotors. It's close to the same price to just replace them. My advice to you would be to do just that. You can still use the Wagner pads. Before re installing the pads on the new rotors lightly sand the face of the pads with some lighter grit sand paper. Lay the sandpaper on a flat surface and sand the pads on that flat surface. After putting the brakes and new rotors on make a few somewhat hard stops to seat the pads and you'll be good to go. And won't be turning heads anymore when you come to a stop every time.Or at least the head turning will be due to them looking at your new car as opposed to why your new car has such noisy brakes lol...Good luck and hope this helps.

Source(s): Certified Auto Techncian
    • ralphael6 years agoReport

Thank you , it is very annoying noise to the point were I'm about to just change the rotors and pads or try this sandpaper technique as you mentioned . I really appreciate the advice , I might just go try to sandpaper the old rotors before I get the new ones see if this helps at all too

• Dan B

Brake squeal is caused by the vibration of brake pads against the rotor. I had that problem. Eventually, my brakes stopped squealing after about 10k miles or so. I think I was sold a cheap set of ceramic pads instead of a high qualify ceramic pads.

The next time I replaced the pads on the same car (about 60k miles later), the new pads didn't squeal at all.

Neither time did I have to turn the rotors. There is a compound that you apply to the piston that's supposed to reduce squealing. I used it both times with different results. Other methods to reduce or eliminate brake squeal is to install thin metal shims between the piston and the brake pad. High quality pads come with this shim. Resurfacing rotors will help also (if that's the cause).

• ?

Brakes Squeak After New Pads

• ouch

1. There is actually no requirement to turn rotors when replacing brake pads. That is only done if the are warped. Most OEM's now suggest only measuring the rotor thickness.

2. Yes, new pads can do this, especially ceramic pads. What I do is "set the pads". After installing new pads you need to take the car upto 20-30 mph on and do a few very hard stops. This will set the pad surface. It causes the pad form to the rotor and conditions the pads surface.

On my F350 truck I just did pads this last week. It is common on heavy trucks to get a brake groan about mid way through. This is often called, brake glazing. New pads and a few hard stops cure this noise.

In some cases people will use an angle grinder or orbital sander with light grit to "rough" up the rotor surface. This also removes rotor "glazing".

3. In some cases when your OEM says your pads should be Semi-Metalic, installing Ceramic is not a good idea. Ceramic pads are harder and give great pedal feel, but will ruin a set of rotors. On my 05 Wrangler with 35's, I installed Ceramic pads, after about 10k miles they started squealing, I inspected them to find they glazed the rotors worse than semi-metalics. So I switched back and didn't have issues afterwards.

4. I do understand that some OEM's supply Ceramics as stock pads. So be prepared to understand that if you have your factory rotors and new pads you need to "set" them properly. If at anytime some one installed a cheap set of rotors but you are using "oem" quality ceramic pads, the cheap rotors may not like that very much.

Hyundai Sonata Brake Pads

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Brake squeal after new pads?

Hey all I am kind of new at this just tryinn to learn - Me and a friend changed just the front brake pads on hyundai sonata 012 (wagner thermo-quiets 50$ ceramic)about a week ago . This was the first ever brake job done for the car so I assumed the rotors were fine . We made sure it was greased up...

Source(s): brake squeal pads: https://tinyurl.im/UaK1v

Anytime you replace brake pads the rotors need to be resurfaced or replaced. There is a glaze burnt into the metal from all the braking done with the old pads. This causes noise and brake fade because the glaze keeps the heat from dissipating properly. I've also had my share of problems with Wagner ceramic pads. They are soft and I've had pad material transfer to rotors causing a low grumbling noise and brake shudder. I stick with Wearever rotors and Platinum brake pads that come with new hardware. They are available at Advance Auto.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • ralphael6 years agoReport

Thank you , these are actually the rotors im buying today going to replace them later today , I appreciate it

This summer the first fine day, you store over the winter convertible bonds have received your beach as you cruise Starter sweet riffs reissue.stereo ready to go, but for the reason ax Wayne Kramer (Motor City 5 for the uninformed) more drone strings Ravi Shankara from beginning to sound like a sitar. And that is not good. When replacing parts, the same droning noise, and in fact, the brakes, you will notice that the high-end stereo come. They squeal. When you return home, make noise and hide under the porch dog only seems to work very Kori. jar rut has become so harsh but as soon as any application of the pedal makes a loud noise. Oops, it's time to check those cede.fr hurt your ears.

• D J

In the pass I have had this problem and removed the pads and sanded or scuffed them up 'against the grain' and did the same to the rotors. Circular motion on the rotors. This has worked about 70% of the time. One Ford Windstar just always made noise.

good luck, and nice job on doing it yourself. keep it up.

no one has mentioned yet, did you put the anti squeal on the back of the pads before you installed them?

it comes in a spray or a lot of times in a small kechup like package on the counter of most parts places