Hey guys, i need some help. I just got accepted to Rutgers, NJ in Industrial Engineering and also in FIU for Civil Engineering.?

I am still debating which one is the right choice. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

I suggest Civil Engineering would probably be a better choice due to the lack of engineering mindset that frequently characterises most industrial engineering graduates.

Firstly, it is important to understand that engineering problem solving ability is much broader applicable than only to technical issues.

Finally, when you get out from university, the problem solving ability is the real valuable asset you have learnt so that it is better to acquire a strong method rather than a mixture of a non-defined economic/engineering skills.

Practically speaking, nearly all engineers need to become industrial engineers (optimising processes, dealing with costs and scarse resources etc.) but it is something you efficiently acquire both with your on-the-job training and with personal study by means of a strong engineering mindset.

You' ll see that, very often, strong civil, mechanical, electrical engineers will become stronger industrial engineers than industrial engineers themselves owing to the better engineering mindset they've developed.

PS: Of course, this is my opinion not the absolute truth. I have no doubt that there are also real talented people attending industrial engineering; the point is that, neglecting top performers, the average level of students attending that degree is often lower than what it is in other courses. I firmly believe that a classic engineering degree with a further qualification afterwards (MBA) leads a person to be a much more well-rounded professional. You can learn afterwards to perform SWOT analysis, Kaizen, Kanban, muda elimination, SMED, just in time,reorder point for inventories, push and pull models and all the other acronyms you're so keen on talking about but you can't learn afterwards how to become a real problem solver (I mean without using PowerPoint).

Anyway, the less mechanical/civil engineers, the better for us...you know, simply demand and supply principle.

Source(s): Mechanical engineer
  • C B

You may want to consult an occupational/guidance counselor to access a vocational interest questionnaire like Strong's. The questions are based on the traits and reponses from various successful professionals and that are happy in their fields. The purpose of the questionnaire is to see if you exhibit similar traits and how well you match up with them. Quite often, these types of questionnaires should be available through your high school counselor.

By the way if you like to meet the challenges that mother nature has to offer such as mitigating the effects of tsunamis, floods, tornados, earthquakes, etc. and the transport of goods and people, clean water, etc. then you may want to consider Civil Engineering.

You may also want to visit a local chapter of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) to learn more about what they do and perhaps have a chat or office visit with a licensed civil engineer. There is additional information about the profession at their website www.asce.org.

Industrial Engineering

I agree with the last guy. Industrial Engineering is big right now. It is not an easy degree since it is very broad. You will learn a little bit about all engineering majors within Industrial engineering. Industrial engineering will teach you to be an expert in problem solving and you can work anywhere.

Industrial for sure. More jobs. More fun. You get to use more creativity in the job to solve problems.

• C7S

Due to the job prospects and frequent salary increases, go with Industrial Engineering.

I studied Industrial engineering. Out of college, I got offered two jobs. One as a civil engineer in highway construction and one as a mechanical engineer in facility construction and hvac/plumbing design. I accepted the mechanical engineering position because it was closer to my field of study. After 1 year, I left to become a process engineer. Another year passed and I briefly worked as an environmental engineer and a chemical engineer. Another 2 years passed and I became a project manager, safety and environmental manager, and a senior process engineer. The advantage of an Industrial engineering degree is that you move up very fast and it is a very broad degree so you can work as any type of engineer you want. If possible, try to get into Penn State University. It was the first school to offer Industrial engineering in 1909 when their mechanical engineering program became too large and broad. They decided to split mechanical engineering into two fields, thus IE was born. Penn State is still one of the top schools in Industrial and Mechanical engineering.

All engineers are problem solvers. Industrial engineers work in designing products, processes, services, tooling fixtures, and molds. They find and fix quality and reliability issues with machines and products by re-engineering. They design or redesign the layout of a facility, warehouse, manufacturing plant, or office to optimize the efficiency or work and a process. They find alternate materials and chemicals and tools to use to lower costs and improve quality or durability. They also work in human factors. They design with the person in mind. Safety and ergonomics are very important in this field.

To Sparrow. Industrial Engineers take the same classes as mechanical and electrical and civil engineers in Freshman and Sophmore year including Calc 4, Chemistry 2 with labs, Physics; Electromagnetism, Thermodynamics, Statics, Dynamics, Strength of Materials, Material Science, Engineering Design.

And between Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. In 3rd and 4th year, they share statistics and reliability classes for quality/reliability/maintenance engineering. They share manufacturing courses for manuafacturing/process engineering. They share technical writing courses for writing engineering reports. The only difference between Industrial and Mechanical engineering is that mechanical engineers go further in fluid mechanics and fluid dynamics and and Industrial engineers go further in product design and development and manufacturing.

Industrial Engineering is the 2nd most popular engineering degree in the world. The first is Mechanical.

The downside to civil engineering is that most civil jobs are working for the state, government, or consulting companies. They usually require PE licensure to work. You need to take the FE exam to earn EIT certificate. Then after 4 years of experience, you need to take PE exam to earn PE license. Then to keep the license, you have to attend 200 hours of seminars, trainings, and classes each and every year, or else you have to take the PE license again.

The advantage with mechanical and industrial engineering is that they are very broad majors that offers jobs in every industry and every field. In most cases, no engineering license is required for mechanical or industrial engineers.

One of my friends who studied Industrial engineering has become the engineering manager at CocaCola after working there for 5 years only. He is getting paid $90,000 per year already. My wife studied Industrial engineering with me and now she is the maintenance manager and project manager at Volvo Powertrain after only 3 years experience. A civil engineer would take much longer to move up and there are very few construction management positions for civil engineers to move into.