Putting Win 7 on an SSD?

So I just got a Samsung 840 EVO 250gig SSD that I plan to use to store my games on. But my friend said I should migrate Win 7 over there as well. I honestly don't trust my friend and I don't wanna mess something up. So is putting Win 7 on my SSD a good idea?

Favorite Answer

SSD drives are much faster and more reliable than mechanical hard drives. Putting your OS on an SSD is the recommended way to do it. Also any other programs that you use regularly.

However - the main problem with SSD drives is that they can only be written to a limited number of times. And then they become "read only". Granted, this number is several hundred thousand times. But it is a finite number. And it is much smaller than the number times you can write to a mechanical drive.

So it is NOT recommended that you store data files (pictures, music, documents, videos) on your SSD. You keep those on a regular drive. This (unfortunately) includes the saved games and temp files for your games. While some games will let you install the game on one drive and store the "saved games" on another, some games will not. So whether you should install a game on an SSD depends on how it saves information.

But as for the OS - YES!!!! You should install your OS on an SSD drive. The performance difference will be night and day.

Source(s): 20+ years in computer repair and support. Do this for a living
  • Fulano

Your computer will boot in like 10 seconds. If you think that's a bad idea... then I guess it's your thing. :)

If you don't start up or shut down your computer a lot, and you don't have space on the SSD then don't worry about it.

But either way, you can get programs that copy partitions, and there are programs that are designed to move OSs to a new hard drive. All you do is run the program, let it copy your boot partition to the SSD, then unplug the old HDD, set up the SSD as the boot drive, then if everything works, erase the old HDD and you're set. If it doesn't work, just plug the old HDD back in and everything is still there.

As for the limit to the number of times you can write to a SSD you can calculate it out. If you used your SSD constantly it'd take like 50 years to reach the write limit.

A SSD is significantly faster than a HDD so why wouldn't you want to put your OS on it? The speed of booting up your computer should increase and you will see the difference.