What do you guys think of this email asking for my job back after not being invited back (seasonal job)?

I was a lifeguard at an outside pool this past summer and I only notified my boss of 1 week long vacation at the time of hire, but then ended up receiving a trip to NYC as a graduation present and requested that off later on. In result, my boss decided to not ask me back for this coming season. What do you think of this letter? I really want my job back! :(

Hey Sue,

I know that things didn't pan out as expected last summer with me being a reliable lifeguard for you and the other lifeguards but I just wanted to express my interest in returning to lifeguard although you decided to not ask me back. I understand that I was unreliable and showed a bad work ethic by asking too much time off and that that made it hard for you with scheduling and it was also inconsiderate of me for the other lifeguards. I completely understand if you decide to stick with the decision you made at the end of last summer! However, I really enjoyed working at White Star and I would so much appreciate the opportunity to return and prove my work ethic.

Thank you for the consideration!

Jane Doe

• Ann
    Favorite Answer

You lost a chance of getting the job back when you didn't follow up on the planned time off last year. They don't need that. Move on to other job opportunities. And use it as a lesson of what not to go again.

If they have already told you they don't want you back, no number of letters will get them to change their mind. They can't operate the pool without lifeguards there when scheduled, and you didn't live up to that. Maybe ask to be considered as a relief or substitute lifeguard if they need those, but you will HAVE to show up on short notice when called.

And, yes, you need to be more formal in the letter. Dear Ms. Jones, not Hey Sue. "I was disappointed to receive your notice that you do not plan to ask me back to work again this summer." Etc.

• bob p

You lost any chance of getting the job back in your first two words.

"Hey Sue" sorry but this not a good way to start any letter for a job.

• DelK

You need to add somewhere that you have learned that there are consequences for decisions--if in fact you have.