Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

How much do you know about The Berlin wall in Germany?

I ask this because I an studying german for A2 and went to Berlin last nover. It's an amazing city with a lot of culture and history/. But how much do you know about communism in germany?

Do you know who the stasi is? Do you know what "der wendepunkt" refers to? Have you ever heard of Hoenecker

Update:

@Gary C- I was really just wondering how much everyone else knew about it? But since you have had a first hand experince, tell me what it was like. The atmosphere, the mode of the people the stasi? I'd like to know everything.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Mark
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A fair amount. I've been to West and East Berlin before and after the Wall was there. There was a wide area where everything was demolished and the Wall itself, while usually following streets, sometimes bisected apartment houses. Before the wall came down, a lot of "West Berlin" trains ran through East Berlin, but didn't stop. The "old" centre of the city was in East Berlin, causing West Berlin to sort of make up a "new" centre of town. Since the Wall was demolished, the seat of government has moved east of where the wall was, but the main shopping area is still in western Berlin, though there are quite a few large shopping malls in eastern Berlin.

• Gary C
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

I know quite a lot about it. I visited both West Germany and East Germany while the Berlin Wall was still there.

What do you want to know about it?

• ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

A lot, yes, yes, and yes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.