Can I legally tell an employer that I have never been convicted of a crime if I pled guilty to 240.20 & the ca?

When I was 17 in 2008 I brought a bb gun to school in Brooklyn, NY. Court disposition shows arraignment charges were "ac 10-131" with no specification to which section of the code, ac 10-131 is listed 4 times in a row (I assume 4 counts?). On 12/04/2008, Pled Guilty/ Review & Sentenced PG 240.20. On 10/16/2009 Sentence Imposed Conditional Discharge = 1Y. The case is now sealed, I have not been in trouble since. My question is, since I pled guilty to 240.20, is that the same as the ac 10-131 charge? Are ac 10-131 misdemeanors? If so, am I guilty of the misdemeanor ac 10-131 charges or the 240.20 disorderly conduct ? The 240.20 is disorderly conduct, can I legally tell potential employers I've never been convicted? Thanks

Favorite Answer

240.20 (disorderly conduct) isn't classified as a crime; it is a civil violation that is only punishable by a fine. The AC 10-131 charges are all misdemeanor weapons violations. Since you plead guilty to the reduced charge of disorderly conduct and have had no further violations, the original misdemeanor charges have been dismissed and sealed. You are free to tell most employers that you have never been convicted of a crime since the violations will not be divulged in a basic criminal background check. However, if you plan on employment in the fields of law enforcement, military, or medicine, you will be subjected to enhanced checks that could bypass the record seal.

1

Source(s): Criminal Record Search Database : http://CriminalRecords.raiwi.com/?teHv

Minor records are irrelevant since they are sealed. But technically you have been convicted. Once you plead guilty, the court convicts based on your plea. You were convicted of that crime. You need not admit to convictions as a minor to your employer, as they won't be discovered on a background check.

No. That would be a lie and when they ask, you can bet they will be checking. Background checks include everything, even minor things such as parking tickets and whether a fine has been paid or is outstanding. It also makes no difference whether you plead guilty or not guilty or whether a case went through trial.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal

If the charge was discharged then, from a legal standpoint, you were not convicted and could answer "no."

Source(s): 23 years a cop