Help with physics projectile motion question?

Hello. I'm doing a physics lab and one of the Analysis/Evaluation questions is "Explain why the vertical component of a projectile motion on an inclined plane is independent of the horizontal component" The lab involves having a sparker with air coming out of the bottom (like an air hockey table)... show more Hello. I'm doing a physics lab and one of the Analysis/Evaluation questions is "Explain why the vertical component of a projectile motion on an inclined plane is independent of the horizontal component"

The lab involves having a sparker with air coming out of the bottom (like an air hockey table) slide on an inclined plane in 3 different types of projectile motion. One of them is just going up and back down, the other is when it's pushed horizontally and falls down due to the inclined plane, and the last type of motion is when both the x and y component have a initial velocity. I know the answer i just don't know how to explain it properly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!