1hp how much amps when 440 volts?

• Bob

On single phase 1 HP is about 5 amps, if it is a bi phase supply at 440 volts, then this can be halved to 2.5A. A 3 phase motor irrespective of its connection, ie star or delta will draw roughly 1.75A per phase on a 440V supply as in the UK.

Source(s): UK approved electrician,HND electronics UK

Now, that my friend will depend if the motor is connected in delta or star, I hope your talking 3 phase because i haven't heard single phase with 440volts. If you you have a motor already it must be rated with max current too on the label. Now finding the exact current is difficult but then 1HP= 746W if i remember correctly and P=VI*pf so I=P/V(ph)*pf.

now as confusing as it may sound you need additional info too. I am assuming you are some science/engineering student.

With no other information to go upon, I can only assume that the load is 1 HP which equals 746 Watts.

Using the formula power, P = IE, where, P is power, I is current, and E is voltage, we write the following equation:

746 = I(440 Volts)

I = 746/440

I ≈ 1.7 Amperes.