How much are AR15's?

Considering getting one, how much should I expect to pay?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

$800-$1,200 for a good one. To answer your question they go up to $4,000.

Look for Colt ( model 6920), Bushmaster, Sig, Spike Tactical, Core.

Most people get a carbine length which has a 16 in barrel and 7 in handguard ( if you wanna know what size rail to install if you want to)

Unless you plan to shoot competition you wont need a longer barrel.

Look for these features.

5.56 chrome lines barrel- most AR's have that now, it can use 5.56 NATO and .223 rounds. Not just .223. Chrome barrel are more durable but I doubt you'd shoot enough to wear out a barrel.

Staked gas key - it should have pinch marks on the bolts securing it to the BCG.

1:7 Twist

M4 feed ramps

MPI BCG

Forward assist

Milspec parts

The brands I listed offer that, check their web sites for a full list of features. I'd go for the Colt but all offer good rifles.

Avoid piston drive AR's.

Some may not have front/ rear sight ( some people add scopes, Eotechs ect), go with magpul MBUS if they don't.

• 7 years ago

That depends because Mossberg can make them $575. Bushmaster is around 900 to 1000. Call is about the same in Smith and Wesson around 800

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

It depends on what they come with.

I saw an AR on sale for a little over $800. It was a colt i believe. It came with a 10 round magazine and a small reflex sight.

There might be some decent ones for around $700 that you could improve on your own. But I haven't personally seen any for $1000, but I've heard of it being that much.

I'd expect $800-$1000.

• 7 years ago

I've seen in my area starting around a little under $500 and for a full top of the line cutomized AR-15 your looking around $$,$$$.$$ (Unknown amount) Now for a good brand and all most likely around $750.00 give or take.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

About $700 min to $3000 or so. An excellent quality entry level will cost about $900-$1200 depending on options.

• 7 years ago

$550+

But I wouldn't buy any AR at that price point. The minimum I would go would be $850-950 for an S&W M&P 15.

I'm in the process of building my own, and it is way better than anything that you can buy from a shop at that price point.

It is:

Mega Arms stripped lower with a parts kit from PSA = $190 (complete lower)

DPMS slick-side upper = $80, no need for parts kit

Extended charging handle = $45 (much more expensive than a standard one, but very nice for scopes)

Keis Nickel-Boron bolt carrier = $120 (very nice, full profile, nice features, nicely staked gas key, not expensive, looks nice) + BCG completion bits +$40 (pins, firing pin, clamps, gas rings)

Midwest Industries SS Float tube = $150 (OD green, splurged on this over other tubes because it was light, modular, and looked nice)

20", stainless, threaded Lothar-Walther match barrel in 6.5 Grendel+low profile gas block+Grendel bolt = $455 (this is what makes this rifle a peach. I have about 2 weeks left on the order, but am fighting myself over canceling it and buying a Shilen match barrel in stock at Midway)

Midway-brand helical muzzle brake = $60

All told and assembled, $910 in parts. I spent about $230 in upgrades that I didn't absolutely have to (meaning the rifle could have been $680 before optics/accessories).

Plus $100 in tools (bench vice, action block, wrench) so that I could install the barrel myself, and $515 in other accessories (Magpul AFG2 = 50, bipod option = 30, scope+mount = 380, bubble level = 30, canted irons = 25). And another $215 in Grendel ammo/reloading supplies (Dies, powder, bullets, brass, ammo from Hornady, enough to make 50 rounds at a time, for 100 rounds, plus 40 rounds from Hornady and a cost/round of 40 cent afterwards).

That is what I have spent on it so far... since Christmas...

Anyways. In comparison, an upper from AlexanderArms (the go-to source for Grendel uppers) would have cost $820 plus the $190 for the lower, for a grand total of $1010, and that would have had a crappy E.R. Shaw barrel ( a Shilen or Satern barrel is a $350 upgrade on top of that). An equivalent barrel upgrade would have made my $910 rifle a $1360 rifle instead.

• ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

(sigh)...ya know...you TRY and keep a civil tongue in your head...BUT. You TRY and just "move on" without bothering to answer...BUT. How many mindless and repetitive questions do we have to endure here ? Can't you people USE a search bar ? Can't you use a phone book to CALL a gun store ? Really...how lazy / helpless/ ignorant are you ? "How Much Is An AR " ?????

Source(s): Perhaps you should consider doing your own research instead of being so incompetent, ok ? ( and...as someone mentioned...if you even HAVE to ask....)
  • 7 years ago

Anywhere between 800 and 2000 dollars. Depending on accessories and how stupid you want to get with them and how picky you are on name brands, etc.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

That's like asking how much is a car. Maybe you could actually get out from behind your computer and go to a gun store and price them instead of expecting somebody else to do it for you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.