How do I pass the SAT?

I am 17. Homechooled and I never was a great student when I was in school my grades were D's and C's and it seems like they are not getting better I am taking SAT prep test and I am not passing I am so worried. I am getting 6 out of 19 right or something around those lines. Its mostly reading comprehension and i am horrible at math. I pretty much know only basic math (adding, subtracting, multiplication, and division) i havent even really started on biology or hard fractions. I just dont know what to do my mom is too broke for a tutor and Im just at a loss here. So can you tell me what exactly is on th test and what score I need too pass it?

Favorite Answer

If you are not a good student, then why are you even bothering to take the test? Unless you are at least a B- student, then a 4-year University is really not for you. You also need to have taken University Prep/Honors level subjects in order to get into a 4-Year University - that includes Algebra II, Geometry, and Honors English Composition. You have not even taken the online classes that the SAT is based upon. Your mother needs to realize that only about 25% of graduates have the intelligence, academic knowledge, and determination to succeed at a University. That does not mean that a Community College wouldn't be a good choice, though. Community Colleges and Trade schools do not require the SAT or ACT exam. Save the $50 test registration fee, and go to Community College.

If you are currently in a SAT prep class and not doing well that is a good indicator of what you will do on the actual test. Why were you home schooled and do you have any options of going to an adult ed program at a local high school. Some adult ed programs will give you classes like regular high schools and you can earn a regular high school diploma, not just a GED. I strongly advise you to look into this. I have a student who was home schooled outside the US and when he came to the US he couldn't pass any classes. He attended adult nigh school and was able to obtain a regular high school diploma.

If you only know basic math at age 17, your homeschooling program was not adequate. You should enroll back in high school, or in some sort of learning program, because you are not at all prepared for college.

There is no "passing" grade on the SAT. A score under 1200 indicates that you aren't at all prepared for college. You need a score around 2200 to go to somewhere like Harvard.