promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Tom asked in PetsDogs · 6 years ago

New puppy barking - can I do anything proactive?

We have a new puppy (this is 4th night). As I type this at 4am, the dog has been barking for the last 35 minutes. He's done this all 4 nights, sometimes a couple times each night.

I've read from multiple sources that you are not supposed to react to this and that the dog will stop once he learns the barking will not get a response. I've got a ticking clock in there. He has toys.

Is there anything I can do that would be more proactive? Is any reaction, including a (humane) punishment reaction, seen as reinforcing his behavior?

We've got guests this weekend, and I would like to be able to arrest his nighttime barking.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Pat
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

With a new puppy, put him in his crate next to your bed. You didn't say his age or breed. If he's over 8 weeks old, he should be able to go 8 hours overnight without having to go out potty.

Tire him out during the day; that helps. Potty him about every hour during the day. Potty him right before bed. Then put him in the crate. He will cry and whine. He's an INFANT just separated from his mom and litter mates. He's scared. He thinks he's going to die. Puppies cry at night usually for a week or so. Babies cry themselves to sleep and so do puppies.

Earplugs cost about a buck or two at the drugstore. Put them in and don't pay any attention to the puppy for 8 hours (no more).

Hang in there. The crying will disappear.

In the morning get up, put your sweats and shoes on, and CARRY the puppy straight out to the yard. Grab a treat on the way. When he goes in the yard give him a pea size bite of real meat or cheese.

House training a puppy or rescue dog (Kikopup)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPiFcG7ROI

Youtube thumbnail

Your pup should learn sit, down, stay, come, leave it, drop it, take it, go to your mat, heel, and walk on a loose lead -- at the least – and be very reliable on all. If you go to Youtube and do a search for Kikopup, and one for Zac George, you will find many wonderful videos showing you fun ways to teach almost anything you want. Both of these trainers are great. The key is kindness, patience, practice, lots of treats, and making it fun for you and your dog.

Here are some vids to get you started:

Video: Ian Dunbar – Dog friendly training

http://www.ted.com/talks/ian_dunbar_on_dog_friendl...

How dogs learn (Sophia Yin)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5pcESd-VQg

Youtube thumbnail

Most important things to teach – no mugging (Kikopup)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4IzTn-kMU0

Youtube thumbnail

Treat speed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmU3fn-YCqg

Youtube thumbnail

First things to teach and what to avoid (Kikopup)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCwh7_SjUVM

Youtube thumbnail

The more you play with him and train him, the faster he'll see that life is good at your house, and the better dog he'll grow up to be.

Hey, you wanted a puppy. This is what you got.

NO to punishing the puppy. You wouldn't punish a baby for crying, would you? A puppy is a baby. Be kind to your puppy. Kinder, apparently than you are to people trying to help you.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

Ignoring a dog is all good and dandy, but as other people have said, with a new puppy you need to put him close to you in the bedroom. Put his crate right next to your bed. As he get more comfortable with sleeping in his crate, you can slowly move it further away from you and eventually move it into another room entirely. Right now, you should focus on making him feel more secure in your home.

Crates are supposed to be a safe haven for the dog, a place to go for calm and peace and quiet. Toys excite him and doesn't have a place in the crate. Possibly give him a bone or something he can eat and work with for a while, but no ropes or balls are necessary.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

It depends on your long term plans. If you plan for him to sleep away from you in the crate as an adult dog, all you can do is make sure he is comfortable, try putting a blanket or an old t-shirt with your scent on it, and ignore the barking. If you plan on allowing him to sleep in your room - either in a crate, on a dog bed or on your bed - then it is fine and actually a good idea to bring his crate up and put it in your room so that he can see you and be reassured by your presence. You should still ignore barking if it happens.

Even kind discipline will not help. He barks because he is lonely and wonders where everyone else is when he has had his mother and siblings to comfort him at night and is suddenly expected to spend 8 hours alone. If you go down, even to punish him, you will teach him that barking ends solitude. If you can't bring him into your bedroom then sleep by his crate for a couple of nights, then move to the sofa, until you are out of the room completely.

• 6 years ago

Tom pups bark if they want to wee or poo they bark because they can hear movement outside, you have a clever puppy who is barking for a reason people can speak dogs can only whine or bark. Your puppy will get better with patience routine and love. The guests will tire the puppy out warn them not to drag their hands away from his mouth because I bet he has a little teething time.

Tom you can't punish a pup why would you even think along those lines he will soon grow up let him enjoy his puppy hood.

I own a GSD with a bark that makes me slop my coffee over me he would win a Gold Medal I don't shut him up he barks for a reason.

Have a lovely weekend walk the puppy with them tire the little rascal out and stop worrying.

p.s I love the reply dogs are supposed to be crated who on earth made this a new law pups were born free, they can be safely left in a utility or kitchen with newspapers on the tiles. There's always one warden with the prison routine. Tom I reported a crate owner on here he punished his tiny Chihuahua because it wet in the cage he kept it in there for 24 hours with nothing but the plastic to lie upon. Yahoo can act when it wants to.

Source(s): Animal owner
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Find what motivates your dog. Some dogs do anything for food. Some dogs do anything for Toys. Some do anything for a good petting. Some do anything for only one type of food, like cheese, or hotdog. Some only have interest in training for 5 minutes at a time, and others can go for an hour. Figure out what your dog is willing to work for, and then work with her in sessions that are no longer than she can tolerate. How to train your dog properly https://tr.im/epOKw

Sign up for a dog obedience training class. It will not train your dog. It will give you training on how you can train your dog. Most people understand the idea of training, but there is a right and a wrong way to do it, and there is good and bad technique. Timing and consistency is very important, and it helps to have feedback of someone watching you who can help you improve your technique to get more efficient results with your dog.

However, she may be somewhat anxious around other dogs, sort of like the shy kid on the playground. She will benefit from continuing what you are doing as far as asking her to sit before entering, but there are more things along those lines that will help her to calmly go in and out of the dog park. She may also benefit from going in short bursts, or only when fewer dogs are present, or avoiding times when other dogs that make her nervous are present. Maybe she just plays loud - my brother's dog is this way - or maybe she is a dogpark bully - sorry it is possible. But more likely she is just a little anxious around new dogs and she wants to play but just doesn't quite know how to do that and still feel comfortable. Don't be surprised if your dog does not actually like the dog park, and maybe she would get more enjoyment and less stress out of simply going for a good walk somewhere else.

A wagging tail does not mean that your dog is happy or even comfortable with the situation. It means your dog is emotionally aroused. This could be a happy arousal, or it could be a nervous arousal, or it could be an aggressive arousal. Go youtube it, there are plenty of videos of 'vicious' dogs who are throwing a very aggressive fit of barking and snarling while their tail is wagging vigorously. Even police dogs who are not let off the leash to chase down a suspect can be lunging and barking and snarling, and their tails are still going.

• 6 years ago

If you were a baby and had been taken from your mother and left alone, you would cry all night. He has been left alone in a strange place; he is frightened, confused and miserable. There are lots of adult dogs who suffer all of their lives from separation anxiety; some of these dogs belong to the people who will tell you just to let your puppy cry. Please don’t listen and don’t leave him to cry, it's easy to resolve this and its kind.The trick is to ensure that it does not start to cry when the puppy is put to bed at night.

Try this, it will work and both you and your puppy will have good nights sleep,

Spend the next two days of his life with you by conning him and having rehearsals for bedtime.

After he has been fed and CARRIED out to the garden for his pees and poos, let him wander around the garden, then put him in a room on his own with a comfortable bed. Close the door and then immediately go back into the room and IGNORE HIM. Spend a minute or two cleaning your work tops if he is in the kitchen, or pretending to be occupied with something else. Walk out again and close the door and walk back in again immediately. Keep doing this over and over again. Eventually you can leave a short gap before you go back into the kitchen, when you know that he is asleep you can stop doing this.

You must listen for him waking up and you MUST GET TO HIM BEFORE HE CRIES. Pick him up and CARRY him into the garden.

Play with him and let him explore the garden. If it's time for another meal, give him this and take him out again, because he will want another pee. (Always praise your dog profusely when he pees or poos outside). Then put him into his bed, close the door to his room and start doing the door thing over and over again.

This is time consuming, however it works. By the end of day one he will have been put to bed several times and he will think that you are just on the other side of the door. Continue doing this for a couple of days and he will grow up without Separation Anxiety and he will stop crying at night. My dogs have never had Separation Anxiety; I think that they think that I never leave the house. Nevertheless I sleep downstairs for the first two nights.

I have given this advice to several people and it has worked very quickly, I know this because I have had emails from them.

Please do not listen to the answerers who tell you to ignore your puppy when it cries, their dogs will have Separation Anxiety for the remainder of their lives

Good Luck.

• 6 years ago

The dog is supposed to be CRATED in your BEDROOM, not in some other far part of the house. Dogs are PACK animals & companion animals (NOT livestock to be stuck somewhere else). No wonder it is crying. You are doing this totally wrong. Move the crare into your bedroom. Plan to take the puppy out once or twice) per night to potty, if/when it wakes up.

Housebreaking pup w/ a crate:

http://drmark1961.hubpages.com/hub/Housebreaking-Y...

Crate training: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/cra...

Source(s): 30 YEARS in dogs
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.