why doesn't the west recognise the coup against Viktor Yanukovych?

Viktor Yanukovych was the democratically elected leader. He was forced out by aggressive force of the more ruthless minority (this must be the case as it was the majority that elected him.) Does this mean if a more ruthless minority doesn't agree with the majority they can take over the country and rewrite democracy? What would be the attitude if it happened in the USA. Also, what would have been the attitude if a Ukraine government who favored breaking with Russia and embracing the west was overthrown by a ruthless minority? Would Obama be supporting that coup? It seems democracy is only ok as long as who gets voted in is what the USA wants.

I am not favoring any side over the other. Just asking why the coup is not being stated as a coup by the west?

Thanks for the replies. To Jamlord, you missed the point. That is that there was democracy there and the people democratically elected Yanukovych as their leader. What is happening now is NOT democracy. It is a coup. Weather it is necessary (right or wrong) is not my question. (xpatinasia, I favor no 'side' I am pointing out that there has been a coup, which is undemocratic, and the democratic west is not acknowledging it. My question is why, when we want democracy, and when in the Ukraine it has been overturned, no one in the democratic West will acknowledge it. I suspect it is because Yanukovych would not play ball with them. But it is the elephant in the room. Ukraine has just had a coup de ta. The democratically elected government has been forced out. My question is not about sides but the elephant in the room. That is the hypocrisy of the democratic west embracing an undemocratic coup.

Favorite Answer

The people properly overthrew him.

INTERPOL reviewing Red Notice request by Ukrainian authorities for arrest of Victor Yanukovych.

http://www.interpol.int/News-and-media/News/2014/N...

Yanukovych left Mezhigorie: Video evacuation values

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3CvU6nV_G4

Youtube thumbnail

#t=467

http://news.liga.net/articles/politics/998988-kak_...

If you're American, you have no excuses for not knowing the answer to your question:

"Government is instituted for the common good; for the protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness of the people; and not for profit, honor, or private interest of any one man, family, or class of men; therefore, the people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government; and to reform, alter, or totally change the same, when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it."

-John Adams, Founding Father and 2nd President of the United States of America.

As for coup, what coup?

The Ukrainian Parliament - representing the majority of Ukrainians - democratically voted to remove Yanukovych from power.

They also formally requested an international arrest warrant for Yanukovych from INTERPOL.

They threw the bum out. Not the protesters like you bizarrely & mistakenly seem to think.

its New World Order

Yanukovych refused to sign up to EU (European Union) and the accompanying IMF bailouts and austerity measures (which have crushed Greece)

so Victoria Nuland employed neo nazis to overthrow Yanukovych and forcefully instate a leader who will sign up to EU IMF enslavement

US leaders are all for New World Order and support the coup

"I am not favoring any side over the other"

It's clear that you are.