Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Micro SD vs SSD in terms of speed?

I have been trying to find ways to maximize the speed of my laptop and some people have suggested replacing the old hard drive with an SSD. However, I do also have an SD card slot with an adaptor for a micro SD if I need it. How would the speeds compare if I put a 32 or 64 gb micro SD card on my computer and installed programs on that than if I got an SSD and replaced the old hard drive with that?

Favorite Answer

The maximum sequential read rate (when all the data you need at one time is on a single section of the data platter) on a typical hard drive is about 100 MB/s. This doesn't even choke the SATA I hard drive bus (150 MB/s), and we're on version 3 already (rated below).

The required read rate on a typical micro sd card is 30 MB/s at the maximum class on the market today (UHS 3). You will not see speeds much faster than the minimum required speed at that class as SD cards aren't used for performance applications. Sequential reading is irrelevant as the card is solid state like an SSD.

The maximum read rate of a high end SATA III SSD is about 500 MB/s and climbing! A SATA III bus on a motherboard can handle up to about 600 MB/s, and the technology out there is probably going to choke up that bus really soon!

There is no comparison, your HDD is furthermore faster than the best SD card on the market today, get an SSD.

The speed improvement using the SD card is marginal at best. One reason for this is that most SD card readers are treated as just another USB device and that is not the quickest I/O method.

You will be pleasantly surprised if you replace your HDD with an SSD. One of the reasons they are way faster on boot is that, when one is booting Windows, there are hundreds of files opening and closing in a very short period of time. Whereas the HDD has to go and look for each individual file (head seek time + position time) the SSD has almost NO access time at all. The funny thing about an SSD is that you cannot improve performance by defragging it, in fact Windows will not let you defrag it! It is really arbitrary where the next segment of any file is on an SSD.

So, in summation, SD no, SSD yes.

Thank you for this excellent post. The reply is not as helpful as it should be, because it shows no date, making it difficult to interpret the post.