Reasons a '96 Chrysler Sebring won't turn over?

It's a little 2.4L Automatic Transmission. This morning when u got off work it crank. Usually when it is cold outside it takes a while to crank but it's 70 outside right now. I've tried all the simple things like I put a gallon of gas in it. I got jumped off but the battery seems to be in good shape. It's getting spark and it's getting gas to the engine. Its starting to give me a head ache. The serpentine belt squeals but u don't think that would have anything to do with it starting. It has oil in the car. If you have any suggestions can you let me know please.

Favorite Answer

How do you know it's getting fuel? That engine is a multipoint injection engine. Did you hook up a fuel pressure gauge and short out injectors to see pressure drop? Did you check the fuel pressure regulator?

• St N

Do you hear the engine trying to fire up? If not, do you hear the starter motor whirring? If neither of those, do you at least get a click when you turn the key in the ignition? If none of these are happening, then try the stupid and make sure that the transmission is in park or neutral for an automatic and that you are in neutral and your foot on the brake for a manual. I have been able to take the key out of the ignition after shutting off the engine while the transmission is still in gear on an older model vehicle. Finally, if none of that solves the problem, you may need to consider that the timing belt has failed and that you will need to take the car to a mechanic to get it fixed.

Must be the timing belt.

One clue... the starter spins the engine very well.

(There's no compression to work against)

Google

96 chrysler sebring timing

https://www.google.com/search?q=96+Chrysler+Sebrin...