Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 7 years ago

ok so, i have this horrible virus on my computer. avg cant kill it... kaspersky cant kill it...?

i've tried a million and one other virus killer and addon killers and PUP killers and all sorts of things and just wont kill it. I'm not sure how it even got on my computer. but i just would really really really love for this virus or whatever it is, to be gone from my computer if there is any help in the world that i can get. it is the most frustrating thing....

ok so the performance of my computer is extremely noticablly slower, my CPU usage use to be about 3-10% while playing my video games and now its 20-40% while i play it.

what avg detects is called Trojan horse downloader.generic13.BSAL.

avg tries to kill it but at 10:58pm every damn night it just comes right back. same thing with kaspersky, it detects it every day at 10:58pm after killing it the previous night, and comes back. which i can noticablly tell its still there because my CPU usage is through the friggin roof.

i've tried malwarebytes, which doesnt even detects it, i've tried addon killers which delete a whole bunch of things off my computer but specifically not this virus that AVG and Kaspersky detect every night.

I AM NOT SURE WHAT TO DO AT THIS POINT!!! and am beginning to lose hope to be honest, so i am reaching out to whoever can help, heard of this, knows about this, thinks they know about this, and can suggest me or help me or reccomend anything. HELP ME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

alright well im back home and i tried a hand ful of the things u guys suggested. number one, i dont have 2 antivirus programs running, just the one i paid for and hasnt done the job lol -_- kaspersky. 2 i dont even have kaspersky running and my cpu usage is till at 30% while my game is up and 5-20% while nothing is up lol...

i tried process explorer and i got check virus total running (because it has a check by it) but i am not sure how to find a virus with it or what the virus name should be or what i am looking for if it is a virus.

i also tried the link by this person "http://blog.yoocare.com/remove-trojan-ho... maybe this can help you" and i deleted whole registry files, i really didnt care i just want this piece of crap thing off my comp but still nothing, sigh lol.

but to be honest i like where this is going with the virus total, because i feel like this is going to detect something the others didnt. but i just cant find the virus and im not sure what to be looking

oh ok, i see the virus total bar and it has 0/50.. 0/49... 0/48.. 0/47, i'm guessing if its 1/50 or whatever then its a virus? how would i know if the virustotal found a virus with process explorer?

Favorite Answer

Lots has been said on this already but I will chime in with the guide I created on removing viruses. I tried to lay it out in steps which are easy to follow.

To reiterate what another poster said, you do not want multiple AV programs running on the same computer at the same time. They will slow your computer down significantly and get in each others way and provide a lot of false positives. Turn off the real-time component of all but one product.

Top 3 free AV products

Avast

Avira

AVG

Best Paid:

My recent survey of several independent testing labs shows Kaspersky and BitDefender as the top 2 paid AV products.

How to remove a virus -

I) The best solution is to back up your data and perform a factory restore. Install a reputable AV program after the restore and download the latest updates before restoring your data.

II) That not being practical for many, try either of the next two methods:

(Please note that it is important to use one of these two methods as you need to boot and scan knowing that no viruses are already in memory. If you try and install an AV product on a machine already infected then there is a decent chance that the virus will be able to hide/relocate from the scanner.)

A)

1) On a clean computer, download 1 or more free bootable AV products. Five I know of are Avira, AVG, Avast, Kaspersky, and G Data.

(There is a handy product called sardu (www.sarducd.it) which will create a flash drive/Cd capable of having multiple AV products built into it. It isn't perfect yet, but it does do the job pretty well. I keep a copy on a flash drive for whenever I go to someone's house to help with computer problems and I have a number of other diagnostic tools included as well.)

2) Create the bootable media and include the latest virus definitions

3) Boot the infected/suspect computer by using the bootable media and run a full/complete/deep scan of the computer using preferably at least two different ones. No AV product gets them all, but 2 different products should find and remove just about anything.

B) second alternative method:

1) remove the hard drive from the infected computer

2) slave the drive to a clean computer which already has at least one AV product already installed with the most current definitions. You can do this by installing it into the case (for a desktop) or by putting the drive in an external drive case which you can get for the low teens $. These can be USB (get at least USB 2.0) or eSata - if the 2nd computer has an eSata connection.

3) From the clean machine, run a full/complete scan of the slaved hdd. The computer should already be booted when you connect the external drive, with the AV product already in residential memory (it will have an icon down next to the clock). Then open the AV and run it on the drive. In an ideal world, you should really use two different AV products.

III) If you are unable to do the above, then download and install an AV product and then run it at its deepest level scan. This is not the ideal method as many viruses can hide from AV products if they are already in memory and running before the AV sofware is executed. There are numerous free ones. I strongly recommend two different AV products and one Adware/Spyware product. For free AV, I would typically recommend Avira, AVG, or Avast as the installed resident (always running) AV solution and Malwarebytes as a secondary, on demand AV product which I run on a weekly basis. For Spyware and Adware, the two top performers there are AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy (adaware is a product of lavasoft and safer-networking.org produces Spybot Search and Destroy) Both offer a free and paid version. The free version is good, the paid version offers more bells and whistles, just like with the AV products.

Once the virus(es) is/are removed, change any and all passwords having to do with anything important like e-mail, financial-banking logins, etc. as those have probably been captured and sent to the author of the virus.

Ok well this all sounds excellent an i havent tried it yet. I'll be home in 2hours from class amd definitely give it all a shot. Thank you so much, and i'll let you know what works, what didnt. As far as a name for the virus, i dont have one. I mean, trojan downloader generic13.BSAL is what avg tells me it is, and the google searches respond to that but obviously never gotten the right solution. All i can do is give u details in what it does to my computer aside from that name "downloader generic13.bsal" and that it greatly slowls my compter. And at night, 10:58 even when antiviruses are turned off there is a black box that you can right in that comes up suddenly then leaves. And yes this happens every night when the virus is detected

• Jim

Alfred, first of all you have multiple Antivirus programs on your computer at the same time, which is why you're having problems. Two AV installed always causes computer errors.

The black box is a "Command Prompt''

Type (cmd) without brackets from your start menu and you will get a black box.

Download and run this free program from microsoft. It will display every single running process in your computer. In the right hand column every process is analyzed by "Virus Total" which uses 50+ different antiviruses, then you will know whats going wrong. But 1st you must uninstall completely all antivirus software until you are left with only one. Trojan "generic" means you have a Trojan from a general class of Trojans.

When you start "Process Explorer" the 1st time go to the upper left under the "Process" tab and select

"Check Virus Total.com". You only have to do this once then it will display all processes and if one of them is your trojan it will show on the right hand column how many AV companies have scanned it for malware possibilities. Then if you have a trojan, select it in process explorer, right click on it and you can kill it or get the exact location of it in your computer plus extra info about it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb...

Also your computer is slowed because you have too many antivirus programs, AVG / Kaspersky etc.

Your preliminary problem is too many Antiviruses and until you uninstall them you will never solve your problem. Also it's possible your trojan warning is a "False Positive" as a result of too many security programs conflicting.

Process Explorer will show you whats running and show how much cpu usage each is consuming. Also you can replace your "Task Manager" with process explorer permanently under the options tab.

Now to get rid of your trojan once you discover where it is, scan your computer with your Antivirus in "Safe Mode" (google this). In safe mode only the basic computer systems are loaded up and usually the trojans or viruses are inactive so it's easier for your AV to delete them. But again only have one AV at a time installed.

You can also download and install Antivirus scanning software onto a CD and boot from this CD and scan from the CD.

Comprehensive List of 26 Bootable Antivirus Rescue CDs for Offline Scanning

-----------------------------------

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/13-antivirus-rescue-cds...

One whats the virus called lol cause it may not be a virus more than an instusive program with no real malicious intent but happens to be driving up your cpu thats not a virus thats what we int he technical world refer to as crap......

you got unwanted crap on your drive.

Ill explain why it keeps coming back.

Your virus protection is not killing the source.

Ill explain how thats possible.

The crap you got is stored on your harddrive or ssd whatever type of memory you have in a folder a folder that may look like a preset folder or a system folder that you wouldnt be able to tell that its there. This is all front end shite.

So go into your system folders and search out files and programs you didnt install andor dont lok familiar or native to the original operating system. (Native refers to default or original program)

Look up those files on the interwebs not yahoo just type int he files name and is it a virus yeah google might help you.

Then if you find it delete it.

The reason its not being deleted by the anti virus is because it has this source folder and is then injecting or runnning the application seperately form it so like chrome viruses run themselves in extensions unable to be removed unless their source folder in your system files is removed tricky right but not terribley horrible to remove.

Most viruses now are not programmed by professionals anymore just people who think they are professionals. They really dont access anything other than superficial data but some do track info you dont want known usually to gather data for their application you dont trust these applications because they are 3rd party it doesnt mean they are viruses or trying to steal your data you just dont trust them im not saying though to trust them .

so savings bull is one.

mediaveiwer

flty

**** like these.

Are not viruses just crap unwanted programs and tracker that just interfere with your user experience.

Delete the source then run your virus protection and you should be fine.

if that doesnt work as long as your not being bombarded with nonsense internet connections being hijacked or your bios infected you really dont have a virus just a cpu intensive shitey program. or (CRAP)

• If you have Windows 7, download Ammyy Admin and I can help you with Remote login :)

make a boot time scan and change your av settings to auto fix if you want to remove the trojen or what ever

Download another anti-virus software, here's one that helped me before

http://goo.gl/uBgoCF

hope this helps.

• Sara