Can someone explain 'en' in French?

tu es si chaude que j'en attrape un coupe de soleil

→ you are so hot that you give me a sunburn

I don't get the last half.

Why is the 'en' there?

And doesn't that mean "I catch a sunburn" rather than "you give me a sunburn"? Shouldn't it instead be "tu me donne un coupe de soleil" or something like that?

Please explain! Thanks.

And if you could explain to me all the uses for 'en' that would be really helpful. I read the french.about.com article on it but the article was kinda vague.

Favorite Answer

I presume you are asking about "en" the French object pronoun, and not about the French preposition used in "en France" (in France).

Object pronoun "en" means "of it", "some", "of them":

As-tu de l'argent ? Oui, j'en ai beaucoup = Do you have any money? Yes, I have a lot (of it).

Est-ce que Jean veut du vin ? Oui, il en veut. = Does Jean want some wine? Yes, he wants some.

Prenons-nous des carottes ? Oui, nous en prenons. = Are we having any carrots? Yes, we are having some (of them).

If you don't like the French About page about pronoun "en", try these ones for size:

http://www.fluentfrenchnow.com/how-to-use-that-awe...

As for your sentences, here they are with the correct spelling and meaning:

Tu es si chaude que j'en attrape un coup de soleil = you are so hot that I am catching sunburn from it. If you want to say instead "you are so hot that you are giving me sunburn", then: "Tu es si chaude que tu me donnes un coup de soleil." "Coupe" means "cuts" or "cup" in French, "sunburn" is "un coup de soleil" (a "stroke of the sun"). I expect you know that "tu es chaude" means "you are hot" in the sense of "you are sexy"; if you are just referring to somebody's temperature, then "tu as chaud" is the expression to use.

Source(s): Studied and taught French.

It's because they do their sentences the other way around sometimes....

hence the * tu* first and *J'* last you switch it