Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Jackboot asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 7 years ago

Will homo-sapiens (modern man) outlast the Neanderthal?

The Neanderthal reigned for at least 300,000 to 400,000 years before going extinct about 30,000 years ago. (Many modern humans have up to about 5% Neanderthal DNA.) Modern man (ourselves - homo-sapiens) have only been around up to about 100,000 years. Do we have a chance of outlasting the Neanderthal?

Update:

I'll admit I do like some Neanderthal traits when I believe I've detected them in modern humans, but there's no denying what I also see as the overwhelming ongoing success of "pure" homo-sapiens, thus far. I wouldn't want the Neanderthal to re-dominate, but I think many of the hybrids (homo-sapiens/Neanderthal) that I seem to notice make - at least in my opinion - more attractive specimen than the "pure" homo-sapiens or than the illustrations of "pure" Neanderthal.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • paul h
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

According to genetic studies, humanity may become extinct by the end of this century due to ever increasing genetic defects in humans...and many other creatures as well...which would overload the genetics research and health care systems in time.

So it looks pretty doubtful unless we get to a point of Singularity known as Transhumanism or Posthumanism in the next few decades which some futurists like Ray Kurzweil promote whereby we could convert humans into cyborgs with replaceable nano-engineered body parts/robotics with much smaller/faster computers for brains and theoretically live forever.

I rather doubt we'll ever reach that goal since there are other issues with principles of Dualism as proposed by such men as Descartes, Karl Popper, Sir John Eccles, Robinson, et al...

Dualism asserts that the mind and the physical brain are two separate entities which interact with each other and no amount of technology can replace the metaphysical mind.

Genetics issues...

"Mendelian inheritance in man is “ an encyclopedia of human genes and the disorders and other traits with which they are associated. It has been in creation and updating for over 35 years and has been computerized for most of that time. In addition to the print edition (Figure 1), it has been distributed online (OMIM) since 1987 and by compact disc (MIM-CDTM) since late 1993.” (McKusick, 1998, Vol. 1, xiii - xviii)

Apparently, this database in the National Center for Biotechnology Information at Johns Hopkins University is the best in the world for the current catalog of human genes and genetic disorders."

" McKusick: Mendelian Inheritance in Man,

Reported Genetic Disorders 1966 to 1999. The number

of medically reported genetic disorders in 1966 was

1,487. The number reported by 1999 was 11,099. A

curve of best fit has an R2 of 0.995."

"By 2031, it is estimated (R2 = 0.995) there will be 100,000 human genetic disorders and by 2096 1,000,000 (see Figure 3). “At least one clinical disorder has been related to 1,318 of the mapped loci (roughly 30%)” (McKusick, 1998, Vol. 1, xiii - xviii). That suggests genetic disorder saturation of each locus by 2031 and supersaturation by 2096.

These data confirm human devolution and suggest imminent permanent genetic extinction in this century. "

"In 1997 from genetic testing, the estimate was that everyone on average carried six genetic disorders (Gargus, 1997). The extrapolation suggests that by 2033 the average for every man, woman and child may be 60 or more genetic disorders. The data indicate that the greatest mass extinction in the history of the planet is in progress in non human life forms at a rate of 30,000 extinctions per year and accelerating (Leakey and Lewin, 1996, Chapter 13; Mass Extinction References, 1998). The clear message is that mutations accelerate the permanent extinction of all life forms, including humans. There can be no greater imperative than educating students and parents to those facts."

"As can be seen, the trend in spite of medical advances is an exponential increase in fatal birth defects (Sever, Lynberg and Edmons, 1993). Beyond any doubt, the trend is devolution. By 2085, it is estimated (R2 = 0.967) there will be 100% human infant deaths attributed to birth defects (see Figure 6). That suggests that the genetic disorder saturation of each chromosome locus by 2031, and the supersaturation by 2096, will manifest 100% infant deaths from birth defects by 2085. These data agree with the genetic disorder data in confirming human devolution and in suggesting imminent permanent genetic extinction in this century."

http://josephmastropaolo.com/data3.html

Dualism...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dualism_(philosophy_o...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Eccles_(neurophy...

Quotes by Eccles...

"I maintain that the human mystery is incredibly demeaned by scientific reductionism, with its claim in promissory materialism to account eventually for all of the spiritual world in terms of patterns of neuronal activity. This belief must be classed as a superstition. . . . we have to recognize that we are spiritual beings with souls existing in a spiritual world as well as material beings with bodies and brains existing in a material world. --Evolution of the Brain, Creation of the Self, p. 241"

"Since materialist solutions fail to account for our experienced uniqueness, I am constrained to attribute the uniqueness of the Self or Soul to a supernatural spiritual creation. To give the explanation in theological terms: each Soul is a new Divine creation which is implanted into the growing fetus at some time between conception and birth. --Evolution of the Brain, p. 237"

http://www.theosophy-nw.org/theosnw/science/prat-b...

Transhumanism or posthumanism...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism

Speaker Tom Horn lecture on TH issues...also called GRINS technologies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQDD4mQE7Tc

• Homosapiens need competition from other species to go extinct, but since there is none then only a viral out brake or a nuclear holocaust can possibly make that happen but very unlikely cause there still be radiation free or viral free zones around the globe after all that. Homo Sapiens will simply re-over populate again. Homosapiens might return to the sea for food and evolve to Hairless Aquatic Homonids. Sea creatures don't seem to get affected with, atomic/nuclear radiation blast in the bikini islands.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

We Neanderthals are still around. Soon we will take back our rightful place on the earth from the Modern usurpers. Your days are numbered Moderns.

• ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

We're fairly close. Actually, modern humans have been around for 200,000 years. The Omo Remains found in Ethiopia have been dated back to 195,000 years, and have been identified as modern human.

• Andy C
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Maybe. Time will tell.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.