Should I marry Rachel... TODAY?

She is my love and my life; my best friend. I met her here on Yahoo! Answers seven years ago when I answered a question she posted. She picked my answer best and added me as a friend. Weeks later, she asked a question for a friend that was too difficult to explain in the space provided, so I mentioned that if further assistance was needed, my profile accepts e-mails. She e-mailed me to talk about it further and we became pen pals (I should mention that I am from the U.S. and she is from England). E-mails evolved into IM, into voice, into DAILY voice... then it was time to meet. We met in Florida for the first time and in the first 2 seconds I knew I was in love. Later she confessed the same to me and we began what must be the LONGEST long distance relationship in history. six years of daily video chat never being together for more that three months (visa restrictions).

Here's the thing... She is here now (on the other sofa with her laptop, most likely playing Candy Crush) and she's supposed to be going back in a few weeks... and this time I just can't let her go. I look over at her now and I just want to always be able to look over and still see her. So my question is, how does today sound?

I should clarify: We have never been together for more than three months AT A TIME. We've still spent YEARS living together if you add it all up.

• Rachel
    Favorite Answer

YES!! Let's do it! I love you so much! Can't wait to be your wife! You are the perfect man for me! :-D xxxx

• .

You don't know each other well enough to have a good idea if marriage will work out...there is far too much you cannot know until you spend a considerable amount of time face-to-face with someone...one of you need to relocate to the home country of the other, and try actually being a dating couple for a while, maybe even live together for a year or so, before taking that legal step of marriage...

No, 6 yrs is not the longest LDR ever...

• Neo

Only you know your feelings toward her. If you want to go all-in, then do it. She is making the effort to come and stay with you for 3 months at a time. That is a considerable effort.

I sometimes can't get a date with a woman who lives 2 miles from me. That shows her level of interest...

You're an adult. You feel sure of your feelings. You have "tested" the "waters".

WHAT'S HOLDING YOU BACK? GO FOR IT. JUST REALIZE????

It may be very difficult to KEEP her here, even married with VISA regulations these days...You need to EXPLORE the legality FIRST I think in order to be REALISTIC when you DO propose, hm? As in? HAVE A PLAN 'down the road' as to HOW you to can marry and STAY together in this country, as I'm guessing you do.

Grace

• ?

That is great that you are thinking of marriage because many today do not see the importance of it. These are some things that you can expect from marriage.

Fact of life: Much of your happiness in marriage depends on what you expect from it.

EXPECT BENEFITS

The Bible promotes a positive view of marriage. (Proverbs 18:22) Here are some benefits you can expect.

Companionship. The Bible says that some time after the first man, Adam, was created, God said: “It is not good for the man to continue by himself,” after which He created Eve as Adam’s companion. (Genesis 2:18) God made each of them with unique attributes so that they would be different, yet compatible. Thus, a husband and wife make excellent companions for each other.—Proverbs 5:18.

Partnership. The Bible says: “Two are better off than one, because together they can work more effectively.” (Ecclesiastes 4:9, Good News Translation) That is certainly true of marriage. “It’s all about working as a team and being humble and willing to yield once in a while,” says a recently married young woman named Brenda.

Intimacy. The Bible says: “The husband should meet his wife’s sexual needs, and the wife should do the same for her husband.” (1 Corinthians 7:3, Common English Bible) When married, you can enjoy having sex without the anxiety and regret that are so often the sad consequences of premarital sex.—Proverbs 7:22, 23; 1 Corinthians 7:8, 9.

The bottom line: Marriage is a gift from God. (James 1:17) When you abide by his principles, you can expect marriage to be a richly rewarding way of life.

EXPECT CHALLENGES

The Bible presents a realistic view of marriage. (1 Corinthians 7:28) Here are some challenges you can expect.

Conflict. No two humans are identical—except that they’re imperfect. (Romans 3:23) So a husband and wife will occasionally have conflicts, no matter how compatible they seem. Sometimes they may even say unpleasant things that they later regret. “A person who never said anything wrong . . . would be perfect,” says the Bible. (James 3:2, Holy Bible—Easy-to-Read Version) Rather than idealistically trying to avoid all disagreements, successful couples learn how to discuss and settle them when they arise.

Disappointment. “We’re bombarded with movies and TV shows in which the girl finds her ‘perfect’ match and lives happily ever after,” says a girl named Karen. When a marriage fails to live up to such an ideal, both mates may become disillusioned. Of course, after marriage both mates are bound to discover additional imperfections and quirks in each other. The key is to remember that true love “endures all things”—even disappointment.—1 Corinthians 13:4, 7.

Anxiety. The Bible says that married people are “anxious for the things of the world.” (1 Corinthians 7:33, 34) Such anxiety is normal and often even proper. For example, you may find it challenging to make ends meet. Both mates might have to work just to pay for food, clothing, and a place to live. But you can succeed if you work as a team to provide for your household.—1 Timothy 5:8.

The bottom line: If dating is like flying a kite, marriage is like piloting a plane. You’ll need considerably more skill and effort to deal with the turbulent challenges—but you can succeed.

If you love her man, go for it. Ask her to marry you. Right now. Your heart knows best.

It is better to love and lose, then to have never loved at all.----an old adage, with truth in it.

Don't marry on impulse like that. But talk with her. Tell her you feel ready to become an every day couple. You'll have to figure out if you go to her or she stays in the U.S. Perhaps you can take a 6 months leave from your work, so that if things don't work out you could come back. But for right now, just try to find a way to be together. If you guys get along 24/7 for a few months, then consider marriage.

do what you feel!

seems you know each other well, and you were not even disappointed when you met in person! (most people are when they do long distance)

Go Ahead.....

Then you can get to have all the joy all of us other marrieds do.

Source(s): married 38 years, 16 happily.

Sounds good!! Best of luck!!