Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 6 years ago

Please answer this please.?

It's the same question I originally posted but no one gave me a real answer so please keep mean comments to yourself and please just answer it. So I live in moorefield wv and so far everyday is a snow day or bad temptures day we never know when were gonna have school due to really bad weather in genrel. We had school today but there's s 6 percent chance of snow is that a good percent chance that's what my phone is showing although the actual weather chanel online is showing only 10 percent chance of regular rain. So what do I believe nd is six percent chance of snow good

• 🌪
    Favorite Answer

A% chance of snow is determined by the probability of precipitation. Probability of precipitation is the probability that more than 1/100th of an inch of precipitation will fall at any point, averaged over the forecast area.

In your case, a 6 to 10% chance of snow means that there will be a 6 to 10% chance that snow will occur at any given point in the area. A 6 to 10% chance of snow means that the probability of snow is highly unlikely. http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/?n=pop

Source(s): Meteorologist/Storm spotter & chaser
  • TQ

What a 6% chance of snow really means is there's a 94% chance of no snow.

---

A 6% chance of snow means every point in the forecast area has an 6% chance of observing measurable precipitation (at least 0.01") during the forecast period. It also means snow is expected over 6% of the forecast area.

Contrary to popular opinion...it does NOT mean...

...it will snow 6% of the time during the forecast period.

...six out of 100 times when conditions were the same...it snowed.

...it's the probability that more than 1/100th of an inch of precipitation will fall in a single spot... averaged over the forecast area.

Source(s): National Weather Service forecaster

6%, even 10%, from what I have seen, means it probably will not snow. if it is closer to 40%, then you might see snow, but even 40% doesn't mean snow. i'm guessing you will have school. i'm about 94% sure that you will have school.

Thank you :) I'm not good at math at all. & I'm one of those kids that like school :P