Does Microsoft Security essentials scan/remove adware?

Other night I was on a site I frequent all the time, Never had a problem. When page poped up & said my video layer was outdated. I clicked on download latest version. Ended out having to download several other things. None of these things turned out to be free so i removed all the programs I downloaded. Since... show more Other night I was on a site I frequent all the time, Never had a problem. When page poped up & said my video layer was outdated. I clicked on download latest version. Ended out having to download several other things. None of these things turned out to be free so i removed all the programs I downloaded.

Since than I have had problem with ad pages/new tabs/pop ups on some sites. Never had an issue with this before. Some sites are really annoying to get on at moment but were all fine until other night.

I have Microsoft Security Essentials & did a full scan. No threats were detected & it says Its up to date

Someone suggested I download adware cleaner but I've also been told you shouldn't have more than one Anti-virus/malware/adware program on your computer
11 answers 11