I feel like popular opinion is that rap sucks?

I am very curious as to why most people on YA! think that rap sucks today. It has grown so much as a genre that I find it hard to understand why people say it "sucks". People say there aren't any "good" rappers nowadays, but I personally think that is false. There is something for everyone. Beat styles have expanded so much, and alot of 90's style beats are still being created. Production has undoubtedly gottenmuch better (I don't think that's arguable due to technological advancements). Lyricism as well. There are many great lyrical rappers out there. Although there are many rappers who don't emphasize lyrics as much as others, they appeal to a certain crowd (ex. hype music, trap music, etc.). I guess that's what it comes down to in the end though. In order for a rapper to gain fame, they need to have a certain appeal which will gain them fans. In other words, I think most of you are instead implying that people who listen to rap nowadays have bad taste. So in reality, you are playing devil's advocate. Thoughts?

Favorite Answer

I think today's rap sucks.

I honestly like the fashion and the fact that rappers are more open minded about style, because it allows them to be more creative with their image. Not everyone should be forced to wear baggy hood clothes, when rap was once about style and expression. But the music still sucks.

And many get over a song once a new catchy song comes out. There hasn't' been any classics since the early 00's

I like Drake, Asap Rocky, Kendrick Lamar, Tyler The Creator, and J Cole is cool. But they still haven't done it like the Ludacris, LL Cool J, 50 cent, Nas, Jay z, DMX, Eminem, Tupac, Biggie Smalls, and Kanye West eras. Those guys really made statements, and really took over with their stories.

Rick Ross, Future, Big Sean, Tyga, French Montana, Juicy J, and the rest are the clowns of the industry. They make it as bad as it is today, especially letting these pop artist who had no respect for rap, who are the worst of their own genre, do songs with them.

Honestly, Im more into rock and heavy metal. I like rap too. But, todays rap sucks. Not all of it, some of it is really good.eminem, jay z, drdre. Im a 90s rap guy. Those rappers were great. 2pac, ll cool j. I do think that more people are getting into rap, which isnt a bad thing

Well, I think most rappers are ******* idiots (for example Rick Ross, Lil Wayne ETC) and I myself like pretty much all music. I enjoy rap because it is basically poetry if the song is actually meaningful and not about smoking weed and doing drugs. I don't hate rap in general, I just hate most people that rap about stupid stuff like drugs and money.

• Lucy

It's ignorance.

Ignorance about other rap artists beyond the ones on the radio.

Ignorance about what the essence of hip hop / rap culture is.

I agree with you completely. There are so many talented hip hop artists out there, all with diverse styles. I wish I had the time to discover them all.