Aria Grill asked in PetsCats · 6 years ago

are there hypoallergenic cats?

they have hypo dogs and i have one and im not allergic to it but i want a cat and everyone in my house is allergic to cats but i want a cat so is there any hypoallergenic cats?

Well as an owner of hairless cats I'll give you the full 411. They are not completely hypoallergenic. See they still shed the saliva and skin cells that most people are truly allergic too although for some people the fact that they do not shed fur is a plus and may help some but is by no means a solution to allergy sufferers. But depending on the severity of your allergy the lack of fur shed may allow you to Co exist with one of these great guys although they are by no means completely hypoallergenic.

Source(s): Hairless kitty momma

Im allergic to cats and dogs and I have a cat, my lips swell up and I use to get hives. I've had her since I was 5 before we knew I was allergic and by then she had already been here for 8 years. There are however dogs that shed very little and they call them hypoallergenic dogs. Shihtzus and poodles, I have an 8 year old shihtzu and I have no reaction to her at all. Never amy itching or hives, so maybe you should look into a dog.

• Ocimom

NO - there are NO hypoallergenic dogs or cats! There are dogs and cats that shed very little, but if members of the family are allergic to cats, then you can't have one while you are living with your family. Sorry but its not fair to them or the cat.

• alan

So they genetically made a dog for you.I looked this up out of pure laughabilty.There is no such thing according to the American kennel society. Now there are dogs that don,t trigger some allergies. which i imagine You have,.Bravo.As far as cats go The sphynx, which is a damn near hairless cat. But it 50/50 they still produce dander, also the Devon Rex. which again is a extreme short hair, it to causes 50% of people with pet allergies to react.Out of all the dogs i look up. All people react differently with allergies with dogs its a hit miss senerio Acording to the CDC, You got really Lucky . I,m glad you found a animal that your not allergic to.

It depends on what part of the cat you are allergic to. There is a Protein that Cats produce called Fel-D1 and it is in their Saliva and Sebaceous glands primarily. So if you are allergic to their fur or their saliva on their fur than you will probably still be allergic to cats if you got a Hairless cat because pretty much all cats carry this gene- Same as if you are allergic to their Feces. However, If you are allergic to Hair in general and not the Saliva or their feces then a Hairless breed might be worth a try some Great Hairless breeds are Sphynx, Peterbald, Bambino, and Minskin. But I would maybe visit a cattery or a hairless cat to see if you are allergic to it before deciding to bring it into your home. Or find out what you are allergic to by a Allergy test at your local clinic.

Good Luck :)

No such thing as hypoallergenic cats or dogs, both shed dander and both have saliva, both of which they will be allergic to.

If you want a cat then move out instead of risking their heath

"They" may say there are dogs that are hypoallergenic but I find it highly unlikely.

ALL pets have dander(loose skin) and THATS when sets off people who are allergic to pets.

read this from the American Lung Association.

http://www.lung.org/healthy-air/home/resources/pet...