best camcorder for HD footage under 700$?

i want a film camera with changeable lenses for different angles. i want it to be HD and to be able to be mounted on a jib. Help is appreciated.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

well I recommend getting the Sony HDR-CX260V High Definition Handycam 8.9 MP Camcorder with 30x Optical Zoom and 16 GB Embedded Memory (Black) (2012 Model) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006K5507M/ref=as...

Attachment image
  • Mmm J
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Not many film cameras made today in your price range. Today, most folks use digital video camcorders or digital still image capture cameras that happen to capture video and audio as a convenience feature. No film is used, so there is nothing to send out for chemical processing... Digital video is much more common.

If you insist on a film camera with interchangeable lenses, you may be able to find an Arri for sale somewhere. Do a search using "arri camera rental". There may be some gear they want to dispose of.

It will likely be much more efficient for you if you look into digital cameras. In your price range there are no camcorders with an interchangeable lens system.

You can add lenses to those with a "Lens Diameter" or "Filter diameter" specification. These will have mounting threads on the inside of the lens area to which screw-mount add-on lenses can be added. This also allows adding an adapter (sometimes called a "DoF adapter or "depth of field adapter") that allows use of interchangeable lenses like those used with dSLRs. Letus, Encinema and JAG are three (of several) DoF adapter manufacturers. Example:

http://www.vid-atlantic.com/products/encinema-35mm...

So, first there is a camcorder with the lens mount threads, then the DoF adapter, then add the lens of your choice. Since the good DoF adapters can use you whole budget, I think this is a non-starter.

If we stick with the camcorder with an interchangeable lens system, then we need to triple your budget. I think the least expensive is the Sony NEX VG30.

The remaining option is to go with a still image capture device that happens to capture video as a convenience feature. Most commonly referred to as a dSLR, these still image capture cameras use an interchangeable lens system and can capture good video, but have some issues you need to plan for and have work-arounds ready so you are not surprised when they happen in the field. These items are published in the dSLR manual - specifically: During prolonged video capture, they can overheat and shutdown automatically to protect the camera's imaging electronics; they have a recording limitation of 29 minutes and 59 seconds (assuming they do not first overheat); are limited to 4 gig file size in a single segment and can have issues with the internal mic recording unwanted audio from inside the camera. PLEASE do not take my word for this - go to the manufacturer's website, download and read the camera's manual.

The usual suspects in this low-end area include Sony, Pentax, Canon and Nikon. The models in your price range including a couple of decent lenses include the Nikon D3100 and Canon T3i.

All camcorders over about $100 and all dSLRs will mount to a tripod or a jib (the 1/4"x20 screw mount is standard). Generally, the jib mounts to a tripod. Be sure the jib and tripod is rated to carry more than the jib+camera+lens+counterweights+cabling+external mics + whatever else you plan to mount to the camera, jib and tripod. I like to mount a monitor to the tripod because the camera is too far away it is difficult to see what the camera sees. It would be a bummer to watch your tripod or tripod head collapse if it is not properly (over)weight rated.

A few people I know decided to go the low-end dSLR route - they have 2-3 of the same camera so when 1 has overheated it can cool and another camera is in use. This can also help with the 29 minute, 59 second limitation by starting a second camera 15 minutes after the fisrt started - there is overlap of captured video and helps with scene continuity.

I choose to go the hybrid route but a step up from the Sony NEX-VG series and got a NEX-EA50UH. Large imaging chip and interchangeable lens system but designed to be a camcorders (with XLR audio inputs) so no overheating or file segmentation (or length) issues. I use a Kessler KC8 crane kit with their Hercules head on their K-Pod tripod and is it all rock solid.

• kyle
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

I recommend Sony HDR-PJ380 camcorder.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-PJ380-Definition-Ha...

-1920x1080 Full HD 60p with 8.9MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor

-Project up to 100" videos with 13lm built-in projector

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.