History behind redneck flag?

I understand the history behind the confederate flag and the civil war but I wanted to know how the confederate flag became the redneck flag. An actual source please, not a made up answer.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago
    Best Answer

Actually, there were four official Confederate flags, and the one with the cross and the stars is NOT one of them. It was the Confederate battle emblem. The other four are the Bonny Blue Flag and the First, Second and Third National flags. The battle emblem is also mistakenly referred to as the "stars and bars" when in fact, it was the First National design that was given that nickname.

But because of it's conspicuous use in the movies, and because so many jackasses think it's cool to put it on a bumper sticker, that battle emblem has become associated with the Confederacy, rebellion and racism. The X with the stars on it was known as the Cross of St. Andrew. It's because of the mistaken impression that this is the Confederate flag that it's commonly considered the "redneck flag".

• 6 years ago

Right Rex, it's a battle flag and was not the "Star & Bars" used by the Confederate Government. A red battle flag is meant to impress & signal position on & off a battlefield. After the war was lost for the Confederates the flag became a symbol of a lost cause and a pride of service only known by surviving descendants. The Rebel Flag representing slavery is a little far fetched because there was another flag the constitutionally stood for slavery for over 70 years before there was a Rebel flag. It was called the "Stars & Stripes."

• Kaitlyn6 years agoReport

Thank you. I new that this was the battle flag simply did not include.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Firstly, when one hears the term "redneck" they think of stereotypical backwards white southerner. During the Civil Rights Era the Confederate flag was often waved by racist southerners, "rednecks", and now it's become a symbol for stereotypes (e.g. the Confederate flag is the Redneck flag).

Times have changed the term redneck now has other meaning to MANY northerners.

• 6 years ago

As I understand it the stars and bars was not the actual Confederate flag but the battle flag that came to symbolize the states & territories in rebellion from the union.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

The Stereotype of Rednecks is that they're also White Supremacists and Due to the Confederate States of America Policy on Whites being better than African-Americans it was only natural that White Supremacists adopted the Confederate Flag.

- edited a typo

• Jay
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

These are the origins of the flag:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confeder...

After the Civil War it became a sign of resistance and became a symbol of identity to southern people.

• 6 years ago

I don't know if you realize it, but your question would seriously offend a lot of people - redneck is a pejorative term and a lot of Southerners do not consider themselves rednecks, nor should they. Just FYI.

It is a question that has zero meaning behind it just curiosity. And redneck is not a term that means racist southerner as many believe. My family is very proud to call themselves rednecks and we are not southerners nor racist. The term redneck has actual meaning behind it don't assume.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

There are whole books about this by professional historians and sociologists. Go to your library and find one if you want an "actual source." That is how grownups do research, you idiot.

• ?6 years agoReport

Correction. I do not want opinions I want actual facts. And I live where I library is over an hour drive. I just wanted some answers for my curiosity.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.