What does it mean when you get hepatitis B (all 3 series) vaccine but titer still shows no immunity?

If someone gets all three Hepatitis B vaccines but a titer still indicates no immunity. what does that mean?

Does that mean they have a chronic Hepatitis B infection and don't know it? Could it mean that?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • P H
    Lv 6
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, it could mean that. If you are not at very high risk of hepatitis B infection it is more likely that you either did not respond to the vaccine or that you did respond, but the titers dropped off, but negative surface antibody (anti-HBs) titers are also seen in chronic infection (and in acute infection). Only with immunity due to natural infection that has resolved, or with immunity due to immunization will there be a positive surface antibody titer. Discuss with your doctor whether you should just get another dose of vaccine and a repeat surface antibody titer 4-8 weeks later, repeat the full series, or get a hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) titer to rule out infection.

• Bob B
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

If I remember correctly, this happens to about 10% of cases. It basically just means you haven't responded to the vaccine properly. While you usually do make antibodies, in these cases the immunity wears off and they disappear.

The vaccine cannot give you a chronic infection, and even if it somehow did, you'd still have antibodies.

Usually, when this happens, the vaccines are given again, which sometimes causes a more longer-lasting response.

• 6 years ago

If you had chronic HBV infection, you'd have antibodies. Titers measure antibodies. Since I have no idea how long ago you completed the series, I'll assume it was quite a while ago. Antibodies against a specific disease don't remain at the same levels throughout life. Eventually the numbers drop off. A booster vaccination will bring them back up to a detectable level.

Source(s): I'm a nurse.
  • 6 years ago

It means the shots were not effective. Has nothing to do with having an infection of this substance.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.