Why do some people display the Confederate flag when they live 150 mi. NORTH of the Mason/Dixon line?

I usually see it displayed as stickers on cars and trucks (with no southern plates) and I remember one house in the town I used to live that displayed the flag in the summer.

Favorite Answer

There could be any number of reasons, but in general one must remember that before, during and after teh civil war, there were many in the 'North' that sympathized with the Southern Confederate Cause. Most that fly the Confederate flag north or south are usally just trying to antagonize or get a rise out of someone.

If you look at the NY Draft riots during the civil war, most of the more violent crimes were against African Americans living in NYC at that time. A good press story about how many middle and lower class workers felt during the civil war, even hundreds of miles north of the so called mason-dixon line is here: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/317749....

Maybe they were born in the south.