We all know that christians believe, I think most of them do, that their bible was written or inspired.?

by their god. If that god is omniscient, then how could the bible have been tampered with, changed, reworded etc, and how could there be so many disclaimers and contradictions in it. If that god is almighty why was necessary

to tell people that no changes can be made added or subtracted from it? Please,

this is not about "free will". Also how did believers learn that it to be the word of god other than from the bible itself?

@ The Beat - You were doing well until you misquoted me. I did not say all of them, I specifically wrote "most of them". There is a huge difference.

@Aaron - Your answer is nothing but an excuse, apologizing for your god. You also claim to know what your god did. or wants. You claim to have learned all this from a holy ghost. Any evidence of these claims?

@Ronnyc ->> We know that that Bible is inspired because of its accuracy in the sciences, history and in dealing with human life problems. God can make crooked lives straight again and speak to us through His word the Bible in ways that transcend understanding. <<

Wonderful! You know that the bible is inspired by your god because he can speak to you through his word the bible in ways that transcends understanding. Do you know that you have just stated that

you do not understand the bible? TIP If you need answers about science use a science book not the bible.

@A Smith - >>Anyone can "say" it is, but the actual scientific evidence proves this to be a false claim. << LOL you want to prove the bible by using science!

>> Also, as far as "contradictions", there are zero. The books of the Bible compliment eachother, not contradict. The problem with this idea is that people are reading a couple verses from different books only, then making the Bible out to be contradicting. If you had thorough knowledge of the entire Bible, you would interpret it properly. It is designed (by God) to be read as a whole, not in random verses.<<

There are many contradictions in the bible and if you can't see them then maybe you need new glasses. Throughout the book there are contradictions, even where Jesus claims one thing and the god in that book claims differently. Obvious contradictions.

>> They even wrote "Jesus did many signs and wonders, and we were eye witnesses to this and we KNOW that He i

@ A Smith cont'd: You claim there to be thousands of Roman texts that record things about Jesus; want to name a few, and not religion manufactured books.

>>They even wrote "Jesus did many signs and wonders, and we were eye witnesses to this and we KNOW that He is the Messiah". How much more proof could they possibly give us than that?<<

;

They?? They were the Romans who wrote the NT and naturally they wanted to promote the story for ulterior motives. Those writers could not have been witness to Jesus for two reasons ; 1) they are the people who invented Jesus and knew he was not real, and 2) they were not born yet when your Jesus man supposedly died.

My question is about god not Jesus.

@Carl Williams- You contradict you entire belief.

Michael Cohen - Thanks, but I have read your rant before. You did not even come close to answering the question.

Your answers show complete lack in whatever it is that you believe, plus no understanding of your bible. If there was any evidence to support Jesus and what else you claim the RRC would have it and would have published it hundreds of years ago.t There is none, but there are plenty of false claims, that no one who can think would ever accept unless they suffer from an emotional addiction caused by emotional abuse by what you have been taught by Christian leaders.

Joseph of the NT never spoke a word, so how did anyone know what he was thinking as all he did was dream.

Favorite Answer

I can't give you an 'official' or definitive answer, I can only tell you what I think. For what it's worth (which is not a lot).

First of all, you can't prove either that God exists or that he doesn't exist. You believe in him, or not, on faith. Belief, not knowledge. You DECIDE to believe God exists.

Now, once you make that decision, how do you know what God is like? How do you know what he wants from us? ALL you have is scriptures! The Abrahamic religions are all based on scriptures--some they share, some not. Some people spend their whole lives studying these scriptures for little insights into the nature of God and the universe and us and the relationships between all of them.

If you really believed that your scriptures, whatever they are, are deliberately provided by God as a 'revelation' to believers, then it's easy to believe that all the editing, censoring, redacting, re-arranging, re-editing, etc. that's been done over the millennia were orchestrated by God himself! I mean, he meant them as a revelation--he wouldn't allow people to just make stuff up and put it in there. In cases where editors have chosen one particular version of a story, God guided their hand! How would that be hard to believe for someone who believed God inspired these writings directly and deliberately to provide us with essential information about him and us?

A problem that's harder to deal with (at least for me) is that the Bible is filled with discrepancies--ambiguous passages, inconsistencies, even downright contradictions. But this seems to be a problem that bothers only some of us. The scriptures are open to a very wide range of interpretation, but lots of believers have no trouble believing that ONLY their interpretation was the one God intended.

I love the Bible, just on the level of literature. But I believe if it was really meant to be a clear revelation of God's plan and God's will, God could do a lot better! I think a lot of people first decide what they believe and then look for passages in the Bible to back it up, and ignore those that don't.

Great question. The original texts aren't translated, then translated, then that translation translated. It is a common misunderstanding.

If you translate this very message into 100 languages, it doesn't mean you tranlated it to Japanese. Then from Japanese to Russian. Then Russian to Spanish. No, you would translate it once from the original message to Russian. Once from the original message to Spanish. Once to Japanese.

The Bible is NOT passed down and translated over and over like the game "telephone".

We still have near original Greek and Hebrew texts that are from almost exactly when they were written.

Check out the Dead Sea Scrolls, which are Bible documents from thousands of years ago that are still the exact same as our modern translations. The Bible is not changed.

Anyone can "say" it is, but the actual scientific evidence proves this to be a false claim.

Also, as far as "contradictions", there are zero. The books of the Bible compliment eachother, not contradict. The problem with this idea is that people are reading a couple verses from different books only, then making the Bible out to be contradicting. If you had thorough knowledge of the entire Bible, you would interpret it properly. It is designed (by God) to be read as a whole, not in random verses.

Countless Roman texts from the first century prove that Jesus did exist, with followers, and that He was crucified under Pontious Pilate. Also, look up Pilate Stone. It is a 2,000 year old stone that still exists today with Pontious Pilate's name on it. The trial was very real. The crucifixion was very real. And as far as the Resurrection:

It isn't as though there is only 1 gospel, or 1 account that tells the story about Jesus, the miracles, and the Resurrection from the dead. There are many people that wrote about it in very high detail. How many people would have had to write about it for you to believe it? People don't give credit to the long list of eye witnesses.

Imagine if we lost all the technology today and YOU had to write about things you witnessed for future generations to read. And, what if many others today witnessed the exact same things and wrote about them in detail. The truth would go on right?

They even wrote "Jesus did many signs and wonders, and we were eye witnesses to this and we KNOW that He is the Messiah". How much more proof could they possibly give us than that. There weren't video cameras.

Actually most Christians believe what pretty much the vast majority of intelligent people do. That the Bible is a mythology. The only real difference between an intelligent Christian and an intelligent atheist is a Christian believes the overall message of that mythology and that somewhere within it there is a hand of their God, where as an atheist leaves it at a mythology.

It's only the bottom of the intellectual food chain that believe either the Bible is literal, or all of its believers read it as such.

"You were doing well until you misquoted me. I did not say all of them, I specifically wrote 'most of them'. There is a huge difference."

Re-read the second word I initially wrote. I like that I said only the bottom of the food chain take everything literally, and then you went on to take every letter of my last sentence literally, merely because it was the only loophole you could find to wriggle yourself into a semantic blackhole of logic hellfire. Here's a hint to you as to why that last sentence may not have been intended to be taken 100% literally (other than the obvious discussion being had within it), believers who claim to take the Bible 100% literally tend to ignore the parts that tell them to stone to death disobedient children, and/or daughters who have sex out of wedlock. So make an inference therein, my friend.

P.S. - If you really want to get into a battle of semantics and grammar, before you hit that comma and couch your comment, "most of them do," you're explicitly implying that all Christians exercise the belief you're about to posit, and your couching only limits the comment, not away from the implication that all Christians believe in what you're saying, but in the least a large majority of them do. So if you don't really understand the way language works, you probably shouldn't discuss it with someone who does.

• Aaron

You learn it to be the word of God from several sources:

1) The Holy Ghost

2) Personal Experience

3) Time, testing and trial

It is confusing why there are so many versions, but God allowed them to be written. Why? Some people simply don't understand the KJ version ( the most accurate version of all), and so God simply allows different versions to be written in order to reach more people. He wants to meet us at whatever level of understanding we have. I started with a Living Bible version when I came to the Lord. I stopped using it, because to me, it's not as nearly as accurate as the KJ version. But God used it, I learned from it and have matured.

When read the way it was meant to be read with the Holy Spirit's True and accurate interpretation given to us through revelation knowledge. It is unchangeable no matter which version you read. The Holy Bible is a Supernatural Spiritual Book and has to be read as one.

1Co:2:14: But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Because God gives inspiration man gives information. Mans information can be tampered with, changed, reworded and contradicted but the inspiration from God can't

The Beat has it right <D