Why would you want to go to New Mexico?

All of my friends want to go to New Mexico over spring break.

Why the hell would you want to go to New Mexico? What is there to do?

Moab, thats one thing, I love biking, I love rocks, climbing, hiking, etc...

but New Mexico just seems like alot of flat land and nothingness. No pretty rocks, no scenery. Just dirt. Flat, flat dirt.

Am I wrong? Why should I go to New Mexico with them?

Favorite Answer

Well, if you like the Moab, Arches and Canyonlands area, you will love New Mexico. The scenery is not quite as dramatic as Utah (let's be honest, few places compare to Bryce!), but it's pretty and it is extremely varied.

Much of New Mexico is what you just described. The Eastern portion is like... oh god, how much more driving till I get through this desolation?? But the Santa Fe area is amazing. Look up the Dale Ball Trail system on the slopes of the Sangre de Cristos. Check out the trails in the Jemez Mountains (Santa Fe lies between them). Take the high road from Santa Fe to Taos, great scenery and a lot of old Spanish Land Grant towns and old missions. See the Pueblos and not just Taos! Try not to miss Acoma, which is completely amazing, a town built atop a 385-foot high mesa.

There's some amazing history there. NM has the oldest buildings in the United States. Taos is 800 years old, Acoma is over 1000, and for buildings built by the Europeans, the Palace of the Governors and San Miguel in Santa Fe were both built in 1610, before the Mayflower arrived.

Santa Fe has more restaurants per capita than any city in the world. With 250 galleries, it is the second largest art market in the country. In the World, it's 5th (1. NYC; 2. Beijing; 3. London; 4. Paris; 5. Santa Fe; 6. LA). Not bad for a town of only 70,000 people. Also loads of museums. Nightlife though? Good luck with that! There are a number of friendly clubs to drink but nothing you'd consider a wild time.

As for hiking and biking, tubing, hot air ballooning, paragliding, what have you, NM has as outdoorsy a lifestyle as Colorado is famous for and has all of those things in abundance. I suggest giving it a try, it'll surprise you. Just avoid the eastern plains, bleurgh.

Source(s): Personal Experience

Other than snow skiing I am not sure why college students would go there for spring break.