Can our 3 yr old ride in the cab of a U haul with us in his car seat?

We are moving 22 hours away to a different state, we are going to tow our car with a 14 foot U Haul, and it will be my husband, me, and our 3 yr old. He is still in a car seat, can he ride in the cab of the moving truck with us? It says there are 3 seats in them, but I've heard a lot of back and forth about this issue online, some saying yes, others saying no...Has anyone done this personally, I would love an answer. Thanks.

• Bobbi
    Favorite Answer

UHaul is vague on this - they do recommend that you drive your car.

http://blog.upack.com/posts/are-car-seats-allowed-...

In the end, its up to you. Those trucks are huge. Ask if you can turn off the airbag. or if the airbag deploys in the middle seat. We had our lil one in a moving truck in his booster seat at age 6, no choice. I think uHaul has those shoulder belt systems, one of those will lock in a car seat. --- EDIT install the way you would do a seat belt install for your car seat, not going "over" the child and seat to hold them in.

.

As for babies in car seats sitting in the front seats, perfectly legal in every state if you have a front-seat only truck. And yes, you can safely install a car seat rear facing or forward facing in some front-cab only trucks if you can turn off the airbags.

.

.

We drove a Chevy s-10 pickup truck, front seat only with a switch to turn off the airbag. And yes - the car seat was safely installed - by a car seat tech.

It's not the safest thing to do, but if you have no choice, you have no choice. He's old enough for forward facing, so that's not an issue. Air bags should be turned off if possible. Check the laws where you're driving to be sure.

• ?

No, it's considered the front seat and not only can children under 12 not be in the front seat, but a car seat cannot safely be installed there either.

And an answer you have! Yes you can ride in his I LIVE IN WINDSOR carseat if you can fit that is.

• K

It's not the safest. He isn't tall enough.