Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

Why didn't Obama just come right out on day one of Benghazi attack, and clearly say it was a terrorist attack?

Obama, Hillary, Rice, all replayed the same story of a video causing the uprise, for weeks after. Did the fact, the election was just weeks away, Obama stating Al Qaeda on the run, destroyed... Could and would have had a major impact on the election?

Update:

Please revisit the real history with obamas own words at the UN weeks after the attack! still blaming a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfiUQASpVdc

27 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There was an election coming up

Trying their best to minimize the damage.

The point for me is not the video, but rather.. well. I'll let a liberal speak for me

Maureen Dowd

New York Times

The administration’s behavior before and during the attack in Benghazi, in which four Americans died, was unworthy of the greatest power on earth.

President Obama knew he was sending diplomats and their protectors into a country that was no longer a country, a land rife with fighters affiliated with Al Qaeda.

Yet in this hottest of hot spots, the State Department’s minimum security requirements were not met, requests for more security were rejected, and contingency plans were not drawn up, despite the portentous date of 9/11 and cascading warnings from the C.I.A

The defense secretary at the time, Leon Panetta, insisted, “We quickly responded.” But they responded that they would not respond.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/12/opinion/sunday/d...

• 7 years ago

"Why didn't Obama just come right out on day one of Benghazi attack, and clearly say it was a terrorist attack?"

He did.

Anybody who thought it wasn't a terrorist attack is a blithering idiot. When civilians light your consulate on fire and shoot mortars at it, that's a terrorist attack.

"Obama stating Al Qaeda on the run, destroyed... Could and would have had a major impact on the election?"

Obama never said Al Qaeda was destroyed. They are always "on the run". No it wouldn't have had an impact on the election. Everybody knew it was a terrorist attack. Obama said it was a terrorist attack. Whether or not it was motivated by a movie is irrelevant.

• 7 years ago

Because it was election year. And if he told the truth (which would have been a first) about Benghazi right then and there (which to this day he still stonewalls), revelations of his gross incompetence and negligence would have inevitably surfaced in spite of the "progressive" media's best efforts to protect their messiah. He knew the terrorist attack in Benghazi could have easily been avoided, or at the very least effectively fended off. But he was too busy not caring about our ambassadors abroad in hostile territories who've repeatedly asked for reinforcement of their security detail. He had more important things to do like sleep, watch a movie in the White House theater, and play several dozen rounds of golf with Tiger Woods.

@ ash - Actually, I prefer a competent and honest government.

Your retort is laughingly weak.

@ joshua - Nice quote. But I wouldn't expect an Obamabot lemming to notice the fact he never directly referred to the Benghazi attacks as a terrorist attack. He only referred to it as a "terrible act".

• Kini
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

He did not know the reason for the attack and was probably told the video was the trigger but why is that important what the reason was? What the U.S. does in that region would cause many people to attack Americans. I happen to believe it was the fault of General Petraeus for conducting a secret CIA operation from that outpost. Everyone knows CIA operations overthrow governments or assassinate leaders opposed to America. I think his mistake was sending people to go on TV too quickly before the investigation was done.

SOCRATES: Yes but a response to American micro-managing in that region in general.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Not for weeks after - for days.

He say it was "an act of terror", and it wasn't unfathomable for it to be linked to other violent protests around the world.

For every person that knew it was a terrorist attack, I'm sure you can find someone that thought the video was probably linked to it.

I think they had enough info to have not reported to any certainty on the cause of the attack. They may have put too much emphasis on the video. But within days the story was corrected as the evidence became more overwhleming.

Not enough of a "scandal" to still be going on a year later.

"Please revisit the real history with obamas own words at the UN weeks after the attack! still blaming a video"

I haven't watched the video in awhile, but I believe he makes vague references to the video and violence, and how it's all unfortunate and progress still needs to be made. He does not say Benghazi was the fault of the video. He speech is more general.

• 7 years ago

It's more complicated than that. Here's what happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfOKxOfZ64k Start at 26:01

• 7 years ago

He did in the Rose Garden in the first 24 hours. Just because something is a terrorist attack doesn't mean there can't be other things influencing it. Since there were multiple riots and attacks the same night throughout the middle east because of the video, there is no reason to suppose that that was not part of what caused the Benghazi attack. It's convenient to ignore all the other riots and attacks and pretend Benghazi was the only one, but it isn't factual.

• ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

I didn't follow the timeline closely, but, usually initial comments by officials are very guarded, so as not to give false information. In the case of Benghazi assigning a motivation, in hour one, was not possible.

Of course, the facts are never allowed to spoil a good GOP attack story.

• H
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

He had to get on a plane for a fund raiser in Las Vegas the next morning. He couldn't be troubled by this inconvenience.

If those 4 men would have been black, I think they would have been saved.

Source(s): LTDO
  • 7 years ago

Think about it! Liberals NEVER admit to screwing things up.... N E V E R !!!!!!! It is ALWAYS someone else's fault, like Bush, Reagan, The TEA Party, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Name even one instance where the Liberals have gone on TV and admitted and apologized for screwing something up.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.