is 470 a good first try for math on a ptractice sat?

i recently took my very first math practice test for Princeton review with no previous knowledge of whats going to be on the subject. I got a 470 but i will be going to tutoring over the summer and hopefully it will improve but is this a good score with no previous experience or tutoring for any of the sat?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

please, please read the article below or have your parents read it if its too boring to you.

that company has a long history of manipulating practice tests and doing other unethical things with their prep. they often make initial tests very hard, for example, and then give easier final tests so that you feel like you got great improvement (and so they can claim artificially high results). beyond that, even if their conduct were all fine, an expensive group class is pointless. you can find one just as good for much less money, or get a private tutor for you alone (which can feel more expensive but often isnt, since you dont spend any time going over things you dont need just bc someone in the class might need it).

470 in math if it were a real test is below average (about 34th percentile, better than a third of the test takers, worse than 2/3 of them). but your actual score may be quite different than that. use the college board online test to get a real baseline math score and then look into a better company (or individual) for further guidance.

• Grace

The Princeton Review is not that good a source for a good test. Try the books and on line stuff from College Board. Those will give you a much better idea.

500 is average. Will get you into some colleges, not the very best ones. To get most scholarships you need higher.

I hope you are in grade 10. If you are in grade 11, you need to start heavy practicing with the stuff from College Board now. I hope your tutor over the summer has a proven record. If not, fins one who does or do the on-line College Board course.

Well... It really depends. If you want to get into a college, that score is good enough for some colleges but not good enough for other colleges. The first time I took the SAT, I scored a 710 (eighth grade.) I'm sure Princeton review will help, but a lot of the SAT math is learned in your normal math class.

Good luck!

470 on one section, or on all three together?

To give you an idea, the average high school junior gets about a 1500 - 500 per section.