Can a Car Insurance Company ask for the license number of every household member?

Recently I switched to NYCM (New York Central Mutual) because their policy was lower than my previous one. They know that I'm the only one driving my car, but now they want to know a whole bunch of information -not requested initially- about every person in my household, like name, DOB, license number, marital status, etc, etc. I have been with two big car insurance companies before and neither of them asked for such things.

• Mushu
    Best Answer

Of course they can. And you have to provide it if you want to continue to be insured by them.

I have yet to see an insurance company who doesn't require every household member to either have their own policy, or be named as a driver on yours.

The reason? You can tell them until you're blue in the face that you're the only one who drives your car, but no insurance companies actually believe that - no matter how true it happens to be. Those other people - conceivably - have access to your vehicle, and the insurance companies consider that a risk. And it's good for their business, too. The more drivers on your policy, the higher the premiums they get to charge.

• lucy

The reason is obvious.

ANY licensed person living in a household, can have access to drive your vehicle at ANY time. Even though you will be the only one driving, at ANY time, someone could use your vehicle, be it to drive to the store, or use for any reason, thus, they need to "rate" each driver.

It could be that the other insurance company had that information and you was not aware of it, thus higher premiums.

After you give them this information, then see if in fact you are getting a better deal or not. If you fail to give this information, and IF, one of these people drives and then has an accident, then your insurance company can DENY payment on a claim.

Yes. They need to know who is licensed in the household and their info even if they are insured elsewhere

Source(s): Insurance Agent

Heck yes, they can ask anything they want to. You do not have to answer and can choose another company.

They are concerned about other drivers in the house driving your car. They will probably also want proof that the other people have their own insurance policy.

Anyone living at your address with a license could potentially drive your car, so they need that information to check their record to see if they are a risk. If they are it can make your rate higher than the estimate or they could decide not to cover you. Yes, they can ask. You can refuse to give it to them but then they definitely will drop you.

• Brent

Sure. I had one ask about my brother when we roomed together. Was I worried? Sure. He had just getting his car sideswiped by a semi and I wanted none of that.

He wasn't driving my truck, so no big deal.

• car253

Yes. They can.

• Tony

yes they can